Thread: get video info recursively?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

get video info recursively?

Hi,

I have a folder full of videos, I want to use ffmpeg to get the video info from all the videos in the folder and its sub_folders recursively and sent to a file.txt but it must show the folder name and the video info under it.

at the moment I can only get the video info by going in to each directory and typing ffmpeg -i

Input #0, avi, from '06138.avi':
    Metadata:
    ISFT : Lavf50.6.0
    Duration: 00:20:22.42, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2620 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: msmpeg4, yuv420p, 720x576, 25 tbr, 25 tbn, 25 tbc
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 112 kb/s

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: get video info recursively?

or at least print the output to the screen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sohlinux View Post
    Hi,

I have a folder full of videos, I want to use ffmpeg to get the video info from all the videos in the folder and its sub_folders recursively and sent to a file.txt but it must show the folder name and the video info under it.

at the moment I can only get the video info by going in to each directory and typing ffmpeg -i

[...]
    Using ffmpeg in this manner, you'd be processing std error stream instead of the normal std output, it'd be slower and the output would be limited, (I've done that too before).

In this case one tool I'd recommend is mediainfo (it's in the repos) - it has a cleaner output and more info:

Code:
    cd /path/to/videos
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -print0 | xargs -0 mediainfo > video_media_info
    Anyway if no other option is available ffmpeg slower option is:

Code:
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -exec ffmpeg -i {} \; 2> video_ffmpeg_output
    Then you can parse the files' output for each video individually. If needed use find's -name (or its other options) to refine its output.

Beans

Using ffprobe with the -print_format option might be useful here (available formats are: default, compact, csv, flat, ini, json, xml). I'm not sure if the repo version of "ffprobe" can do this since I compile it myself.

How To Compile FFmpeg and x264 on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by erind View Post
    Using ffmpeg in this manner, you'd be processing std error stream instead of the normal std output, it'd be slower and the output would be limited, (I've done that too before).

In this case one tool I'd recommend is mediainfo (it's in the repos) - it has a cleaner output and more info:

Code:
    cd /path/to/videos
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -print0 | xargs -0 mediainfo > video_media_info
    Anyway if no other option is available ffmpeg slower option is:

Code:
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -exec ffmpeg -i {} \; 2> video_ffmpeg_output
    Then you can parse the files' output for each video individually. If needed use find's -name (or its other options) to refine its output.
    thanks but its also printing the images info which are inside the folders with the videos

I only want to print info related to video types avi, wmv, mpeg, mpg, mp4, mov, m4v, flv, m2t

I added avi ok with -name "*.avi" but how do I add all video types to the command?

thanks
    Code:
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -name "*.avi" -exec ffmpeg -i {} \; 2> video_ffmpeg_output
    Last edited by sohlinux; October 11th, 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sohlinux View Post
    thanks but its also printing the images info which are inside the folders with the videos

I only want to print info related to video types avi, wmv, mpeg, mpg, mp4, mov, m4v, flv, m2t

I added avi ok with -name "*.avi" but how do I add all video types to the command?
    Try this:

Code:
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*/.+\.(avi|wmv|mpeg|mpg|mp4|mov|m4v|flv|m2t)" -exec ffmpeg -i {} \; 2> video_ffmpeg_output
    Note that the -regex find expression matches the whole name (the whole path), not just the file name. Besides man pages, softpanorama.info has plenty of info too:

http://www.softpanorama.info/Tools/Find/index.shtml

__________________________________________________ __

The portable way (with non-GNU find) would be something along the lines of:

Code:
    find . \( -name '*.avi' -o -name '*.flv' -o -name ... \)  -exec ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by erind View Post
    Try this:

Code:
    find "$(pwd)" -type f -regextype posix-egrep -iregex ".*/.+\.(avi|wmv|mpeg|mpg|mp4|mov|m4v|flv|m2t)" -exec ffmpeg -i {} \; 2> video_ffmpeg_output
    Note that the -regex find expression matches the whole name (the whole path), not just the file name. Besides man pages, softpanorama.info has plenty of info too:

http://www.softpanorama.info/Tools/Find/index.shtml

__________________________________________________ __

The portable way (with non-GNU find) would be something along the lines of:

Code:
    find . \( -name '*.avi' -o -name '*.flv' -o -name ... \)  -exec ...
    awesome. thanks