Thread: Minimized Windows Disappear (unity)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Minimized Windows Disappear (unity)

I'm having a problem with Unity. I recently re-installed Ubuntu 11.10, and ever since, when I minimize certain applications, I cannot restore them. Clicking the icon on the bar starts a new instance, and Alt+Tab does not list the open window.

It appears to only be limited to a few applications I use: Eclipse and VMware Workstation.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and have a potential fix/workaround??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Minimized Windows Disappear (unity)

I have a similar problem on 12.04. I have only experienced this with Eclipse, and the projects I run from Eclipse. I don't know how VMWare functions, but I guess this could be a Java related issue.

To me, it doesn't happen everytime I minimise a window. Rather, it happens randomly even when I don't.

I can always reach the window by moving or minimising windows that are in the way. However if I happen to minimise the Eclipse window, there's no way to get back to it. Then I have to kill and start it again.
    Last edited by Lovegain; May 17th, 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Beans

This bug is one of the ones I complained about in 11.04. It was in 11.10 and I was shocked to see it also in 12.04. Some apps either always or sometimes just don't appear in the Unity launcher once minimised. For me it is kmymoney that fails to appear. Not in alt+tab either but I do see it in super+w. There are various bugs about it across launchpad but, as anybody who visits launchpad would know, bugs can sit there for years with no activity other than massive "me too" comments being added.

This is one of the reasons I use gnome-shell. Gnome-shell never loses apps from the launcher. I just don't understand how the Unity launcher can be so flaky that this bug can not be fixed after all this time. There must be sometime flawed about it's design?

Beans

Same problem here
    Is there a bug ticket for this issue?
    Ubuntu 12.04, with MySQL Workbench, DBeaver and a few others Java applications.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mchurichi View Post
    Is there a bug ticket for this issue?
    Here is bug 772063 I refer to. Note that a fix for this appeared in the repos only about 2 days ago in the unity package. So make sure you update your system and try again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Here is bug 772063 I refer to. Note that a fix for this appeared in the repos only about 2 days ago in the unity package. So make sure you update your system and try again.
    It works like a charm!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just had this bug again. After restoring my laptop from sleep I could ALT+Tab to the applications and they get "restored" but there was nothing shown but the global menu of either application. Those applications has been (not all I can remember) thunderbird, eclipse. So it is not really fixed at all.