Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: issues with dual boot after windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: issues with dual boot after windows 8

OK, so you look like you are not to fazed by the concept of messing around with partitions. Here is what I would do.

Use the windows tool to shrink down the windows partition to what ever size you want to have. I believe it is then a good idea to start windows a couple of times to let it decide it is happy and to run ckdisk if it wants to, and that de-fragmenting before you start is to be recommended.

I would leave the rest of the space empty. The windows tool can't format the free space into the type of file system you need for a linux install

Start the installer and choose the option "something else" (at least I think that is what it is called. The one that lets you do the partitioning manually.)

I like to make a separate partition for my /home folder. Doing that allows you to simply re-mount that partition if you need to do a fresh install for any reason. That is where your data and your config files are stored. Being able to re-mount that has saved me some bother a few times.

So, make an extended partition using up all of the free space. Linux can be installed in a logical partition without a problem. (I hope no-one comes along and contradicts me on that...)

Inside that, make a partition of around 15GB and choose / as the mount point. This is the partition that the system goes in to. You can give it a bit more space if you have plenty of room on your drive, but, say, 50GB would be overdoing it. You can see from the attached screenshot that the /partition on this machine is just under 12GB and only has a bit less than 4GB in it.

With the rest of the space, you need to make a swap partition and one for /home. I always put the swap at the end so that I don't have to move it if I want to change the partition set up at a later date, but that is just me.

If you want your standby function to work, you should give the swap partition a little more that you have RAM. When the computer goes to standy, the contents of RAM are written into the swap space. If you never use standby, about a GB of swap should be more than enough unless you do things like really intensive video editing, or having hundreds of photos open at once.

The rest of the space becomes one partition that is mounted at /home.

I hope that is clear enough. If it seems confusing, go into the installer and have a look at it. The installer doesn't do anything permanent without telling you it is about to do that. You do have a chance to bail out if it all gets too confusing. Just look carefully at what you are seeing on the screen.

Doing a backup of anything important in the windows install is a very good idea before you start doing any of this stuff. The installer is quite ok, but you never know. A power failure, for instance, half way through the process could be bad news.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by audiomick; October 10th, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Michael

Beans

Great!

Now where does my saved data go? Lol. Does that run out of the system drive or the home drive. Or should I just make a drive just for data...? Like what will show up as my"c drive(equivalent)" by default?

Beans

thought i had it all figured out. created an 80Gb partition for ubuntu. ran defrag. booted up a few times. then changes BIOS to boot to CD drive. put in install disk. chose "do something else". i tried to format the whole block as an "extended drive" but did not see the option so i left it as "free space" i clicked on "free space" hit "add" made a partition at the end, for the swap for 4Gb (how much ram i have). then clicked on "free space" again and hit "add" and made a partition that was ext4 for 15gb with / as the mount point. then i used the remainder of space to make another partition as /home also as ext4. then i hit "install" and everything ran smooth!

it said "needs to reboot to complete install" so i did, my CD drive opened up. i took the disc out and hit "enter"

then it booted to windows.... never got an option to boot to ubuntu. WTF?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With manual partitioning, there is a combo box at the bottom of the partition screen that says where to install the grub2 boot loader. It needs to go into sda the drive not a partition like sda5, but may default to something else.

You can fix it by booting into your install CD or USB in the live mode and install Boot-Repair.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.

Herman's example of the install grub2 boot loader combo box shows many drives & partitions.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p24/041.png
    Herman has lots of detail but has changed to using the alternative installer which is text based. Still lots of good info.
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/index.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

ok thanks. i did put the bootloader in the wrong place, i told it to boot from whatever partition i made "system" / so that would make since. however i still think im having an issue. i cant make the unallocated space an "extnded drive." through wither windows disk management OR the Ubuntu live CD. my drive tree looks something like
    -sda
    ...sda1 ntfs..windows system.................508GB
    ...sda2 ntfs..windows 8 boot.................100MB
    ...sda3 nfts..system recovery (windows 8 )...16GB
    ...sda4 ext4../home..........................61GB
    ...sda5 ext5../..............................15GB
    ...sda6 swap-space...........................4GB

when i think it should be looking something like this

-sda
    ...sda1 ntfs windows system.................508GB
    ...sda2 ntfs windows 8 boot.................100MB
    ...sda3 nfts system recovery (windows 8 )...16GB
    ...sda7 extended
    ......sda4 ext4 /home..........................61GB
    ......sda5 ext5 /..............................15GB
    ......sda6 swap - space........................4GB

im not sure how to make an extended drive...its not an option that i can see anywhere. even in WDM all i can do with the unallocated space is "make a new simple drive"

so i booted back to windows, deleted the 3 partitons that ubuntu made. so it is back to 80GB of unallocated space.

can i just go back and make the first tree again with the bootloader on sda (rather then sdaX like i mistakenly did earlier) and have it work. or is the extended drive a necessary component.

thank you all for the help
    Last edited by rochford77; October 10th, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Post link to BootInfo report:

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hmm, not sure that helps me, at least not yet. My main issue is not being able to make my unallocated space an extended drive. Once I figure that out I should be good to go.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rochford77 View Post
    im not sure how to make an extended drive...its not an option that i can see anywhere.
    You mean "extended partition" rather than "extended drive"....

In gparted, click on the empty space to select it.
    Go to the menu "partition" and select "new".
    You should then have a window like the one in the attached screen shot and be able to select the type in the drop down menu that my mouse is pointing at.

Just to avoid confusion, the bit of my drive that I am pointing at is a tiny bit of leftover space, hence the small numbers. The options "logische", i.e. logical, and "erweitert", i.e. extended, are greyed out because I already have an extended partition on that drive, and I believe you can only have one per drive. Not a problem, as you can put more logical partitions in there than any normal person is likely to need.

A word to the numbering of the partitions: sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 are numbers that are always primary or extended partitions. When you start putting logical partitions into the extended, the numbers will start with sda5 even if you only have sda1 as an extended partition on there up to that point, as you can see in the second attached screen shot. A very common thing you see is sda1 as a windows partition and then sda2 as an extended with several logical partitions in it.

What you were expecting, this
    -sda
    ...sda7 extended
    ......sda4 ext4 /home..........................61GB
    ......sda5 ext5 /..............................15GB
    ......sda6 swap - space........................4GB
    is close, but it would have to be

-sda
    ...sda4extended
    ......sda5 ext4 /home..........................61GB
    ......sda6 ext5 /..............................15GB
    ......sda7 swap - space........................4GB
    Also, I thought that the windows boot partition is always at the start, but that is immaterial to the questions at hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by audiomick; October 10th, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Michael

Beans

thanks ill go in there and take a gander at it this evening after work. around 8pm eastern time. (about 9 hours from now). ill post my results!

Beans
    Distro

Something occured to me just now. If the system is using UEFI, I think the restriction of 4 primary partitions no longer applies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefi

Unfortunately I have no idea how many machines are out there that are using that rather than the classic BIOS and an MBR partition table, nor do I know how to check on that. If the machine is a bit older, I don't think this is likely, but if it is only a year or two old, I believe it is a possibility.
    Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast