Thread: spamassassin, is there anything better?

Beans

spamassassin, is there anything better?

I am just getting to grips with Ubuntu, for the 3rd time in the same years

It seems spamassassin is the default spam filter. I have been looking for reviews about it without success. I find it strange I cannot find reviews, after all spamassasin has been around a long time.

Just because something is the default does not mean it is the best. My question is, is there any other spam filter as good or better and easier to use?

Thanks Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: spamassassin, is there anything better?

I use bogofilter as spam filter in evolution.

Beans

Howdy,

Spamassassin is a community driven thing and since it has the biggest community, it works the best.

You could DIY with Bogofilter, SpamBayes etc, but the most important thing is to use a DNS black list on your mail server such as Spamcop and Spamhaus, since those two will drop 99.999% of the cruft with almost no overhead.

Beans
    Hidden!

Just to clarify, are we talking about a setup where you're using an email client (e.g. Evolution, Thunderbird, etc.) only, or are you running your own email server?

Either way, you might find that a combination of techniques works better than one system on its own.

I use a combination of spamassassin/clamav/amavis-new, DNSBL checks and some custom-written policy & content filters for my email server. The end result is that the spam isn't rejected outright usually has some clear indication in the subject line and/or headers.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Thanks for your input.

I am running Thunderbird. As spamassassin is loaded through Thunderbird it gives that little extra reassurance it is virus clean. As you say it is well supported, therefore should be very good. This is the route I will take.

I am also going to use Calm, read about it in Computer Shopper (UK) today

Thanks Greg