Thread: Mounting WD My Book World drive

Hybrid View

Beans

Mounting WD My Book World drive

Hello,

My WD My Book World drive has crapped out on me. I took the hard drive out of the case and put it into my desktop. I am now trying to access the drive with the only purpose of recovering data (and if the drive is still good, wiping it clean and formatting it to work in windows).

After reading countless threads, I believe that the file system is xfs. However, trying to mount gives me "Can't read superblock".

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: Mounting WD My Book World drive

Sorry, I've been driving myself crazy with this that I missed some important info!

I am using a ubuntu live cd (created a couple of months ago) for doing all of this.

The hard drive is a WD Green 1TB that came from a first gen (blue rings) My Book World Edition.

I know my way around a computer, but my linux knowledge is very limited.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You may want to use 'Disk Utility' to determine if you are correct about it being XFS or not. My MyBook Live is using ext3 and ext4 and not XFS.

There is a chance to recover as the article below shows, but I think knowing 100% what the file system is will be crucial.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/recover...ted-partition/

Beans

I will check on that tomorrow. Some people said it was ext3, some said it was a raid stup, bt trying to mount as an ext3 (or 2) gave the error that the FS was wrong. I also tried to follow directions for using mdadm with no luck (the drive shows 4 partitions. 3 are 1-3GB each and the last is 999GB. Using the disk utility (I think that was the name) it shows it correctly with the right overall size, but says "unknown" for each partition.

Beans

Used Disk Utility. Partition types are all listed as unknown. Partitioning is "Unknown Scheme"

Tried the dumpe2fs from the link you provided. Response was "Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock."

Beans

Following the suggestion of another website, I tried the command dmesg | grep "[sh]da"

a ton of similar results popped up. A typical one looked like:
    [ 940.967521] sd 2:0:0:0 [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 7b cb 39 0 00 08 00
    [ 940.967540] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8112953
    [ 940.967581] sd 2:0:0:0 [sda] Unhandled error code
    [ 940.967586] sd 2:0:0:0 [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK

That repeats dozens of times with either the first number in brackets changing, the sector changing, or both.

Do you think that the hard drive fried when the enclosure died?