Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrade issues

Beans

Angry upgrade issues

the problem i posted last friday is this-- upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 but i shut down the computer because it was taking so much time...the pc won't boot a day after i did that..now yesterday, the pc suddenly boot and the features were changed..it transform to 11.10..

my question which really bothers me is this---can i upgrade it to 12.04 LTS even though i made mistake of shutting it down while on the process of upgrading last week???

and this-- how come the pc turned to 11.10 if i interrupted the upgrading process??

**PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!*** THANK YOU VERY MUCH ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: i don't know what to do...

A nearly identical thing happened to me when I was upgrading from Oneiric to Precise. From what it looked like, the installation locked up and I had no choice but to do a hard shutdown. When I turned it back on, some things were really weird and messed up (like the resolution, the mouse, etc.), but the version was 12.04.

After my initial panic attack, I sat down at another computer and began Google'ing stuff about botched upgrades/installations and I remember I found 1 site that helped out a lot (I had to do something from the boot menu, but I don't remember what right now). The point is, it seems like the installation began with the critical core components of the version I was upgrading to and then went on to less important things (like settings on applications). So, like me, you probably turned it off after the critical components of the version you were upgrading to were already installed, which is why it seems to work right now.

My advice would be to stick to 11.10 for a couple of days, run an update to update your software and then go for an upgrade to 12.04. Before you do anything like that, make sure to back up any important files/data you might have. When this happened to me, I learned two lessons the hard way. (1) Never touch any thing or start any other program while in the middle of a version upgrade and (2) stick with the LTS, because upgrades are serious sources of anxiety and stress. I hope this helps you a little and that you eventually find your way safely to 12.04. Peace and have a nice day.
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

Beans

wow.thank you very much sir..
    i looked for updates and i found none..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jcka005 View Post
    the problem i posted last friday is this-- upgrading 11.04 to 11.10 but i shut down the computer because it was taking so much time...the pc won't boot a day after i did that..now yesterday, the pc suddenly boot and the features were changed..it transform to 11.10..

my question which really bothers me is this---can i upgrade it to 12.04 LTS even though i made mistake of shutting it down while on the process of upgrading last week???

and this-- how come the pc turned to 11.10 if i interrupted the upgrading process??

**PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!*** THANK YOU VERY MUCH ...
    My question for you would be whether or not it is feasible for you to run a Live CD of 12.04 to put on your PC as opposed to trying to go through the upgrade? Once you have successfully burned the image to disc, and boot off the Live CD you should be able to wipe any other OS off the machine and solely load 12.04.

Clean installs tend to be the way to go so there is no issues that get lost in transition from upgrading from one version to the next. My vote is for the clean install and I believe it will fix your issues.

Beans

somebody already told me to burn an iso of 12.04 LTS but i was not able to do it..i was kind of scared, i don't know..

but thanks anyway for the suggestions..Godbless..thankyou very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

somebody already told me to burn an iso of 12.04 LTS but i was not able to do it..i was kind of scared, i don't know..

but thanks anyway for the suggestions..Godbless..thankyou very much.
    First off, when you say you were not able to because you were scared, do you mind elaborating on what scares you? I know it can seem like a daunting task when you start with Linux but just know you have a great cast of supporters here in the forum.

What can we do to help you get 12.04 on your system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wow.thank you very much sir..
    i looked for updates and i found none..
    You might also elaborate on how exactly you checked for updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I vote with daslinkard on this one. I have upgraded a number of Linux systems. Some have gone well, others very badly. Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that chances for a successful upgrade increase with:

1. Pristine prior OS. If the system you are upgrading is basically unchanged from the default install, then the chance of a successful upgrade is greatly increased.
    2. Generic drivers. I have had either newly installed systems or the upgrade process itself hang because of corrupt or misbehaving video drivers. Sometimes, a proprietary driver will work with OS version X, but not with version X+1.
    3. Little to no customization. I've been tripped up by a highly customized xorg.conf and host.conf.

Upshot is: upgrade success is highly dependent on starting out with a well-behaved system. Since yours is already in a questionable state, it would be inviting trouble to upgrade it. A clean install will not inherit anything from the previous version and will be free of any files or configurations that may have been corrupted by a dirty shutdown.

1. Since 11.10 seems to work, I suggest the following: back up all of your important data. For those new to Linux who cannot differentiate what is important from what is not, this means your entire /home directory. If you have the space (say, a big external drive) back up everything from / (i.e. root) on down.
    2. Install 12.04 with the option of deleting and replacing any previous version.
    3. Reinstall newest versions of all programs you want.
    4. Copy your important data from your backup back to your new install.

You should now be good to go.

PS: do not start either an upgrade process or a fresh install unless you have lots of time to let the process complete. With the installation of any OS, you cannot turn the machine off in the middle of the install process. Leave it on all night if necessary.

PPS: sometimes, the install process gets bogged down at the update stage. This may have been why you were forced to abort the process. If you have a slow internet connection, make sure that you answer "no" at the point where you are asked if you want to make updating a part of the installation. This way, only the CD contents will be installed, and you can update later when you have more time or a faster or more reliable connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lots of good advice in DuckHook's post. That is pretty much exactly what I would do.

I would like to add the following:

Firstly, to reiterate what has already been said, I would not advise trying to simply upgrade from a suspect system. If there really are issues in there, the chances are that they will by carried over to the newer version. A fresh install will give you a solid basis to go on with.

If you don't already have an external drive or something along those lines, think seriously about getting one. Backups are important, and should be on a medium external to the computer that is being backed up.

When you do your fresh install, think about putting the /home folder on a separate partition. You need to go into the "something else" option of the installer when it gets to the point where you can choose between "install beside" and "use the whole drive". This is not absolutely necessary, but gives you the option of retaining an existing /home folder in a new install.

If you, as DuckHook suggested and backup the entire file system or even just the whole /home folder, you should just copy back the files you want, not the whole thing. The reason for this is that your configuration files are in the /home/user folder as hidden files. You can see them by activating the "view hidden files" option in the view menu of the file manager. If any of them are corrupted, simply copying them back will bring the corruption across.

If you have backed up the whole thing, and want to revive a configuration from the old install, you can. Locate the config file for the program in question in the fresh install and make a copy of it under a different name. Copy across the old file from your backup, making sure that it gets saved in the /home/user folder with exactly the right name, and then check to make sure it is all working properly. If anything has gone wrong, you can put back the copy of the fresh file that you made.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daslinkard View Post
    First off, when you say you were not able to because you were scared, do you mind elaborating on what scares you? I know it can seem like a daunting task when you start with Linux but just know you have a great cast of supporters here in the forum.

What can we do to help you get 12.04 on your system?
    uuhhmmm..i've never tried burning a cd..whew..i'm sorry..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast