Thread: Two keys not working in XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Two keys not working in XP

I have troubles with two of my keyboard's (PS/2) keys, those are right arrow and "]" (might be more, haven't been able to test the function keys). I've tried the keys in BIOS and they work well, so I doubt it's something hardware related. What I've also tried is to uninstall the driver and install it again, however that doesn't work, still the same problem. I've tried another keyboard (PS/2 too) and it works flawless with all it's keys.

I mainly suppose it's a driver issue, but I'm not exactly sure what to do . I haven't been able to properly install the specific keyboard's driver so I had to resort on downloading an alternate driver. Is there anything that can be done to circumvent this issue?

Beans

Re: Two keys not working in XP

You might be using the incorrect keyboard layout, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824

Beans
    Distro

It's on the correct keyboard layout. Also, if it were to be the wrong layout, wouldn't "]" be replaced by another character when pressed?
    What I've noticed is that when I uninstall the driver and restart, it asks for "hkntdll.dll", and that isn't present in the keyboard's driver. The thing is I cannot correct that (update with the proper driver), since it always asks for that file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

1. Try another keyboard, or
    2. Upgrade to Windows 7, or
    3. Switch to Ubuntu.
    --
    I am:
    .NET web developer || WordPress and Drupal lover || eCommerce web site developer || Ph.D student using Ubuntu for research || Occasional blogger

Beans
    Distro

None of those options are helpful, otherwise I would've done it long time ago. I'd rather fix the keyboard's broken support. It used to work fine (I didn't use the PC for a while), and now after coming back I'm having this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Check for drivers in windows updates. They may be able to help.
    Also, try DriverMax--it's free and it's been dependable for me.

Turn the keyboard upside down and shake vigorously. Use an air can. There may be something blocking contact under the key even if it seems to work right.

I've never had to add drivers for a keyboard or mouse, but of course I always buy cheap.
    Last edited by critin; October 9th, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Check this out. Google search for hkntdll.dll

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-18da6d151717
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?