Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CinnArch

Hybrid View

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

CinnArch

There appears to be a new distro in town. Cinnamon built on arch. I downloaded the 32 bit version and tried to install it to a flash drive using Unetbootin, but I can't successfully boot from it. Just wondering if anyone else has taken this distro for a test drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: CinnArch

As a matter of fact, I was going to try it this morning, but after a visit to their support forum I decided not to. There seems to be a few issues that I didn't feel like tackling.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    As a matter of fact, I was going to try it this morning, but after a visit to their support forum I decided not to. There seems to be a few issues that I didn't feel like tackling.
    You are obviously smarter than I am. I didn't check out the support forum. I downloaded the image and tried to boot from it (knowing that it was alpha). I remain interested in the distro though. Rolling release distros appeal to me. Edit/Translation: I saw the pretty pictures and decided to go for it.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; October 9th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Huh, not smarter, but maybe lazier. lol I've learned the hard way. Linux LIte looked good too, but it also had serious issues.

Yeah, CinnArch does look nice, it caught my eye. Maybe someday.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

It looks good, but I could never replace my current main distro with something else until I starts to gain traction. That being said, I may boot it up in a VM, repair some bugs, etc.
    Ultra fast, cheap offshore web hosting at MasterClick Hosting

Current special for UbuntuForums members: Half off hosting for 6 months with coupon code UBUNTUFORUMS

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    There appears to be a new distro in town. Cinnamon built on arch. I downloaded the 32 bit version and tried to install it to a flash drive using Unetbootin, but I can't successfully boot from it. Just wondering if anyone else has taken this distro for a test drive?
    Just tried after seeing this. It's nice and fast and quiet. I dd'ed mine and it booted fine.

Never used Cinnamon before. It's a rather nice menu.

Beans

Now I have cinnarch on virtualbox. a perfect archlinux

Beans

This is on my to-do list to try. I currently have Manjaro on my secondary laptop and love its Arch-iness, while retaining a separate repo that acts like a buffer to slow down potential breakage from Arch's fast rolling release schedule.
    I also like BridgeLinux, which is also Arch based.

I'll fire up CinnArch this week in a VM and try it out.

Beans

Is it just me or is arch's packages going downhill? There's plenty of official packages that are broken, wine is one of them (and I use wine for many if not most of my apps). I've used arch and it's one heck of a distro but there needs to be some control over the packages, they need to be doing what gentoo is doing. Heck even xfce was broken this morning on a fresh install, it's getting worse with every passing month.

I really hope cinnarch manages it's packages or ports apt-get or portage as while pacman is probably the best binary package manager, it's crap if 60% of the packages are broken.. I ended up installing everything via git which to the point I should rather be using gentoo.

I wish arch the best but recently the package quality is honestly crap, bleeding edge is great, but it's pointless IF none of the packages actually work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    Is it just me or is arch's packages going downhill? There's plenty of official packages that are broken, wine is one of them (and I use wine for many if not most of my apps). I've used arch and it's one heck of a distro but there needs to be some control over the packages, they need to be doing what gentoo is doing. Heck even xfce was broken this morning on a fresh install, it's getting worse with every passing month.
    It appears to be just you. I have seen no threads on the Arch forum about either issue.

it's crap if 60% of the packages are broken
    it's pointless IF none of the packages actually work
    Probably true statements, if there were any facts behind your figures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast