Thread: Advice on Network Setup.

Beans

Advice on Network Setup.

I have my main router connected to a desktop with no wifi upstairs. Downstairs i have an xbox 360 and ps3. What i just did was setup a dd-wrt bridge pretty much right below the main router and ran a long cable across the basement. right next to my tv i hooked up an ethernet switch and connected the cable from the bridge to that and connected a cable from the switch to both my ps3 and 360.Besides a direct connection to the main router is there any better setup?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Advice on Network Setup.

A diagram would make a lot more sense.

Why not just run the cable from your main router to the switch without using a bridge?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Besides a direct connection to the main router is there any better setup?
    Define "better". I'm not clear on what the bridge is doing. Running the cable straight to the switch would save one one piece of hardware. Using an ethernet splitter would save on the switch (although two splitters and four patch cables cost about the same as a switch and the power consumption of a switch is pretty low).

What are you trying to optimise? Speed? Reliability? Power consumption? Elegance? Number of blinky lights?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Define "better". I'm not clear on what the bridge is doing. Running the cable straight to the switch would save one one piece of hardware. Using an ethernet splitter would save on the switch (although two splitters and four patch cables cost about the same as a switch and the power consumption of a switch is pretty low).

What are you trying to optimise? Speed? Reliability? Power consumption? Elegance? Number of blinky lights?
    too complicated because of materials used in building the place. the bridge grabs the wifi signal and lets me use it on wired clients. the main router is on complete opposite side of house and a floor up. the way i have it setup now is that the router is maybe 10 yards left and 5 yards down from main router. here are some pics i took of the setup. the last one is of the room right next to where the bridge is and directly below the main router. i have no idea how i could get the cable from main router. edit was already using the bridge and have had the switch for a long time. had the long cable lying around for doing lan gaming in halo which i don't do anymore. all i did was move the bridge as close as i could feasibly get it to the main router and use a switch since i didn't want to string another huge cable from the bridge for each additional thing i wanted to connect to brige
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mamamia88; October 22nd, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You can run Cat5/6 on quite long runs so you can be creative about where you route it. Some of mine goes up through the floorboards inside cupboards, through the attic and back down to reach the other side of the house without running cables through rooms. You might be able to pop your skirting boards off and run cable behind them, next best option might be some unobtrusive trunking stuck to the skirting board. If you use shorter sections and pop in connectors in some strategic places you can have the flexibility to move stuff around. Or you could just cut the longer cable where you need to and crimp plugs on as needed.

Bottom line is running an ethernet network around an existing house doesn't have to mean demolishing the place or having messy cables everywhere.