Thread: Problem installing GIMP 2.8 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

Problem installing GIMP 2.8 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Dear friends,
    I have switched today from Ubuntu 10.04. to Ubuntu 12.04. It all works fine - except for GIMP. For some reason, I cannot have GIMP 2.8. installed, neither by using Ubuntu Software Centre nor by pasting commands into Terminal. What shall I do to have it installed?
    Thank you in anticipation.

Vladimir
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem installing GIMP 2.8 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Try to remove - purge the PPA you added , remove completely gimp and then add again the PPA (for 12.04) , update and then try to install GImp 2.8

I assume the problem here is that you have updated gimp while you were in Ubuntu 10.04 (?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Are you trying to install the version of Gimp that is available from the software center? I can't check what the current version is, as this machine is still on 10.04.

Any rate, it seems that you are trying to install an older version than the one that would match 12.04. The dependencies that cannot be matched seem to be older than the versions of those packages that the OS has available.
    Michael

Beans

'Are you trying to install the version of Gimp that is available from the software center? I can't check what the current version is, as this machine is still on 10.04.'

I presume that Ubuntu Software Centre (USC) for 12.04. has GIMP version 2.8. USC doesn't install any version.

I wouldn't know how to delete previous PPA and install the new in Terminal. Any idea how to do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Pavic View Post
    I wouldn't know how to delete previous PPA and install the new in Terminal. Any idea how to do it?
    Nope. Sorry.

If you are trying to install directly from the Software centre without having manually added a PPA, the you aren't using a PPA. The program would have been coming directly from the Ubuntu repositories (which are not PPA's.) PPA's are intended to allow users to provide software packages easily that have not (yet) been included in the main repository.
    https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

If you have added a PPA, you can remove it via the "edit" menu in the software centre under "package sources"
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Pavic View Post
    '

I presume that Ubuntu Software Centre (USC) for 12.04. has GIMP version 2.8. USC doesn't install any version.
    Hi ,

Gimp 2.8 is not available for 12.04 yet. You can add it by using an external PPA (and not official repositories).

Gimp2.8 is available from the official repositories in Ubuntu 12.10 (will be released October 18th)

I presumed you added an external PPA and tried to install gimp from there cuz i can see newer packages will be installed and dependencies problems.

If you take a look at attached image , you will see
    Code:
    gimp : Depends : libgimp2.0 (<= 2.6.12-z) but 2.7.3-2010072701~ll is to be installed
    So either you added a PPA manually , or maybe you have proposed updates enabled.

For PPA you can check software sources "Other software"
    Code:
    gksudo software-properties-gtk
    and for precise-proposed updates , check if box is marked in the "Update" section.

When you make any change then run in terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Thanks

Beans

Somehow I fiddled around following your suggestions and i have got GIMP 2.8. INSTALLED! Works very well.

I am grateful to all of you