Thread: Mac Mini and Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Mac Mini and Ubuntu

Hi,

I recently got myself a cheap second hand mac mini, only for watching movies on my TV, but the Mac OSX was pretty crap (10.3) and I can't upgrade to 10.5 because I only have a HD image, and I cant wipe the HD without the origional MacMini CD, which I don't have.

So I was just going to install Ubuntu onto it. I can't boot into OSX, no idea whats wrong.

Is there a way to boot into ubuntu setup from CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mac Mini and Ubuntu

Yes, insert the CD and hold "option" on your keyboard.

tested on mid-2011 Macbook air, but it should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Usually holding down the 'c' key while it starts up should do the job. Were you able to get a PPC mini?

Beans

It is a PPC G4 Mac Mini.

And what a pain I'm having with it.

I have a wireless logitech keyboard, so I am struggling to get into any boot options/boot from CD with that keyboard on a cold boot.

This is something I posted on a mac forum describing the problem.

Thats my problem atm. I have the PPC latest release on CD. Burnt the ISO direct to disc, but I can't get it to boot.

I'm using a logitech wireless keyboard and dont have a wired USB keyboard to hand. Not sure what to press to have it cold boot from CD?

Would a Live CD respond differently?

Also - Problems with OSX now, since I've put the CD in all I get is rapid flashing white text on black background along the lines of:

lyld: -sh can't open library: /usr/lib/libcurses.5.4.dylib - Some error text and:
    init:single user shell terminated, restarting

Just hangs on that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think you might need to have a wired keyboard for this, at least at the start.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I think you might need to have a wired keyboard for this, at least at the start.
    My brother is being a pal, and bringing a wired USB keyboard down to me shortly. It's not a mac keyboard tho, should this effect it?