Thread: Buying / choosing new CPU fan

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Buying / choosing new CPU fan

Hi everyone,

I have a Packard Bell Easynote MH35 notebook. It's about 4.5 years old and I think the fan needs replacing. When running, it makes scary ticking/scratching noises like the blades aren't properly balanced - despite it being cleaned regularly, carefully and thoroughly.

I did an online search and I was astounded to find that the compatible Packard Bell fans cost about 70 euros. I thought it would be something like 10-20 euros...

Am I going to need to spend 70 euros on this? Or is there a way to find other compatible fans that are less expensive? (Can I get the specs of my fan by using some kind of command in bash?)

Please note I've been using Linux/Kubuntu for only 1.5 months..

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Buying / choosing new CPU fan

Just to answer my own question and maybe help others by doing that:

I copied the information that's on the Fan itself (make and model number), and searched for it on ebay. It turned out it was only available in Hongkong and it cost 20 euros + 3 euros shipping costs.

I was a little nervous about ordering from so far away (first time for me), from someone I don't know,but the customer feedback was a big help (99,7% positive).

I received the fan 2 weeks after placing the order (that means it's traveled about 30km/hour ) (and paying by (my mom's ) creditcard) and it works great.

So don't pay attention to some of the ridiculous prices that are out there. I'm sure Packard Bell would have liked me to pay 70 euros..but I wouldn't!
    Last edited by Noor1101; November 2nd, 2012 at 05:12 PM.