Thread: Accidentally wrote MBR to encrypted disk created with Ubuntu 10.04,urgent help needed

Beans

Accidentally wrote MBR to encrypted disk created with Ubuntu 10.04,urgent help needed

Hey, I have a pretty big problem.

I accidentally answered windows drive managers question to initialize my disk with yes, but it was my encrypted backup drive instead of the disk I wanted to initialize.

So it wrote a new mbr to the disk, but on that disk was an encrypted partition created with ubuntu 10.04 integrated drive manager. It offered to do a full disk encryption, so I choose that.

Am I correct in the assumption that it used cryptsetup with luks?
    I did a backup of the header some time ago with cryptsetup -luksHeaderBackup. I restored this backup to /dev/sdd,
    but I still cant access my data. I am really really desperate right now, what can I do?

Gparted shows an unformatted drive.

Thank you very very much,
    aonir

Edit: solved my problem, I did not restore the header I had, I failed to type yes in uppercase, so no operation was committed. Restoring the header worked.
    Last edited by aonir; November 4th, 2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: user error

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Accidentally wrote MBR to encrypted disk created with Ubuntu 10.04,urgent help ne

Instead of editing post to mark as solved, you had to use the "thread tools" in the upper right part of the page, in order to mark as [solved] in the title of the post.