Thread: 12.04 server going offline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question 12.04 server going offline

I have a headless server running 12.04. On occasions (after several weeks of uptime), I am unable to access the server (via HTTP or SSH) -- the connection times out and cannot route to the server. I hard-reset of the server solves this -- after a hard-reset I able to once again access the machine via HTTP and SSH.

Once I have access to the machine again, what log files should I look at to try to diagnose what is causing the problem?

Beans

Re: 12.04 server going offline

Hello
    I would check logs for errors however Im more inclined to think hardware/wiring issue, I would also start checking the local network. How many computer in the network? how are they connected? Router? Switch? process of elimination check all connections CAT5 to the server/router/switch check the NIC.

Chad

Beans

It'd be interesting to see if the machine has the same IP address after restarting, assuming but I suspect you're not using DHCP anyway.

I have a similar issue where all my machines stop being able to access the web because my DNS serving VM needs rebooting. Are you trying to connect via an IP or a hostname?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Hello
    I would check logs for errors however Im more inclined to think hardware/wiring issue, I would also start checking the local network. How many computer in the network? how are they connected? Router? Switch? process of elimination check all connections CAT5 to the server/router/switch check the NIC.

Chad
    There are many other machines on the network, none of which experience this problem AFAIK. The server is less than a year old, but I guess hardware failures can happen at any time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by OliverHaslam View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if the machine has the same IP address after restarting, assuming but I suspect you're not using DHCP anyway.

I have a similar issue where all my machines stop being able to access the web because my DNS serving VM needs rebooting. Are you trying to connect via an IP or a hostname?
    Other machines on the network are allocated dynamic IPs, but an IP is reserved for this server, so I've hard-coded it so that it always has the same IP. I tried connecting to the server via the IP and via the hostname, neither of which worked.

The problem is erratic and intermittent, making it difficult to trouble-shoot. I have to wait until it presents again before I can start looking at what the problem might be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would recommend writing a script that pings, say google or your gateway and logs it to a file with the date/time, so you can track when this occurs.

I would check the sys log for anything related to eth0. I ran into a problem a while ago where my network card on a VM would stop working randomly and I found it was due to a problem with the kernel module for that specific network card (E1000 in my case).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...