Thread: Guidence on software for a test webserver

Beans

Guidence on software for a test webserver

Hi all,

I am new to web development but am learning. I have 25 years in mainframe operations and IBM S/36, S/38 and Mainframe in both systems and application programming with Cobol, RPG, visual basic 6 and some C , forth , etc.

I have running apache, PHP and mysql on a windows xp desktop.

I want to duplicate as much as possible a commercial webserver so am looking at Linux or one of the variants.

I have downloaded Ububtu server 12.04 i386 and have either a DELL Optiplex G or a pentium 4 440mhz processor box to run it on. It will only be me running tests as I learn php, java script and mysql.

I have a severe budget for this so need to use what I have if possible.

Am I going in the right direction for this ?

any advice appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Guidence on software for a test webserver

Hi markschum,

This is far, far beyond the scope of an absolute beginners forum. Please try the Server Platforms forum.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Moved to Server Platforms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I never heard of a Pentium4 with only 440Mhz.

RAM is more important than CPU. For getting started you will likely be fine with 256MB of RAM, but 512MB or more would be great. This is of course provided you use the server version (CLI only, no GUI/Desktop environment). My first test environment was Ubuntu 8.04 on a Pent2 400Mhz, with less than 400MB RAM. I actually still use the machine as a backup fileserver (call me sentimental... it was my first PC )

There are many tutorials on the WEB. HowToForge is a fine place to start. I would use Ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 if you hardware is compatible.

If you want to spend more time working on websites vs. configuring a server you could try a prebuilt image from somewhere like TurnkeyLinux.org. They have LAMP stack, plus other web goodies like wordpress, django, tomcat, etc. They used to be based on Ubuntu, but now have moved to Debian.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.