Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Grub bootloader. Help!

Beans

Post Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

hi Bucky Ball,

Now I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that somehow I have been successful to bring grub bootloader to choose which OS to use. The bad news is that when I select Windows XP it does not boot and the grub boot loader returns. This is how I achieved this:

I switched from graphical display to console display. I did the following:

“Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Find the following line of text, and remove the # in front of it:

#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Save and close the file and then run:

sudo update-grub2

This should make GRUB be able to display again."

Now the grub is there but I can't boot into Windows XP. Is there some solution to this problem? I am very confused. I have hope that you would be able to guide me in this. My best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

It sounds like somehow your windows boot was messed up during installation maybe? Now would be the time to run the boot info script such that we can see the config there. Since you can get into your Linux side, you should be able to run it there.

(boot info script in my signature)

Thanks,
    Cipherboy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Now would be the time to run Boot Repair. Think it's in the repositories so just install and launch it. That should add Win to your list. Grub maybe looking but not finding the Win bootloader (Boot Repair should find it) or the bootloader has been screwed as mentioned. If BRepair fails, Boot Info Script it is ... Good luck ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cipherboy_loc View Post
    It sounds like somehow your windows boot was messed up during installation maybe? Now would be the time to run the boot info script such that we can see the config there. Since you can get into your Linux side, you should be able to run it there.

(boot info script in my signature)

Thanks,
    Cipherboy

Hi Cipherboy,

First I think we should use Boot repair. If that solves the problem then that would be nice. If not then I would use boot info script to see whats wrong actually.

Beans

Post Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Now would be the time to run Boot Repair. Think it's in the repositories so just install and launch it. That should add Win to your list. Grub maybe looking but not finding the Win bootloader (Boot Repair should find it) or the bootloader has been screwed as mentioned. If BRepair fails, Boot Info Script it is ... Good luck ...

Hi Bucky Ball,

Boot Repair is not in the Mint repositories. Is there any other way to find and install it? Kindly inform. Best regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot repair is not in Ubuntu repositories yet either.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.

You can directly install it or download a full repair liveCD.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by intelamd View Post
    Hi Cipherboy,

First I think we should use Boot repair. If that solves the problem then that would be nice. If not then I would use boot info script to see whats wrong actually.

Hi Cipherboy,

Installed bootinfoscript as Boot Repair could not fix the problem. Now kindly inform how to use this utility?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: No Grub bootloader. Help!

What is the URL returned by Boot-Repair?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bootinfo script does not fix any issues. It just gives us info on your exact configuration so we can tell what may be the issues with your system.

But Bootinfoscript is run as part of BootRepair when you run the BootInfo report. Just post link to the report.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I see. I didn't know about Boot Repair report url. I would again run it and post the link to the report.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast