Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

Sweet, thank you for your help. My main issue so far has been finding guides or videos detailing how to flash a ROM onto your phone almost invariably start with "Great, now that your phone is rooted and you have CWM Recovery installed, we do the flashing now!"

My problem is that the tools to accomplish the rooting on Ubuntu are few and far between. Almost as rare as clearly defined directions for Ubuntu users. I think if I had a Windows box I would be running Jelly Bean by now lol.

Thanks again
    In a ham and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is committed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to root Galaxy S (Epic 4g) on Ubuntu?

Hehe, Google is your friend bro!

But really, I can personally recommend Cyanogenmod. It's the most popular custom ROM out there and it works on a great variety of devices. It's basically a "vanilla android" without all the crap that manufacturers throw in sometimes.

For me (using SGS I9000) it's great, fast, stable, and the ONLY way I can run Android 4.x since Samsung refuses to update these devices.

And for the record, Heimdall and odin are essentially the same thing. I'm sure there's guides out there explaining how they work out. For me, Odin makes more sense (but the interface is fubar unless you're used to it) but that's mainly because that's what I'm accustomed to. But I've flashed using heimdall in Windows and from what I gather it's the same in Ubuntu, (and it was pretty straight forward as well - in fact I flashed CM9 using Heimdall)
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12