Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows v Linux Survey

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Windows v Linux Survey

My college has asked me to make up a Linux Questionnaire. I was wondering if i could get some help here on what sort of questions to ask. Basically im doing a project on comparison of the Windows Operating System and the Linux Operating System. Detailing its usability the benefits of using either the negatives im also posting on a windows forum to get there thoughts and reactions to this survey. Thanks very much in advance and would appreciate any input on the situation no matter how big or small.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Windows v Linux Survey

Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    My college has asked me to make up a Linux Questionnaire. I was wondering if i could get some help here on what sort of questions to ask. Basically im doing a project on comparison of the Windows Operating System and the Linux Operating System. Detailing its usability the benefits of using either the negatives im also posting on a windows forum to get there thoughts and reactions to this survey. Thanks very much in advance and would appreciate any input on the situation no matter how big or small.
    Here is a link where a survey was done about Linux Vs Windows...personally I switched over from Windows to Linux after growing tired of dealing with BSOD, viruses, worrying about antivirus, continuous Windows Updates, etc. The list could go on and on for the pro's of Linux versus Windows.

The day I dropped Windows for Linux is the same day that I sold all my stock in headache relief.

Beans

Windows NTFS filesystem Never The Flaming Same ??

NTFS is slow insecure and contains a single copy of the FAT.
    By contrast linux file systems are more resilient, journalled containing
    multiple copies of the superblock.

I've never lost any data on ext3, ext4 or resiser filesystems. Plenty of data on NTFS.

99% of all web servers are linux based. Its used on everything mission critical including NYSE, NASA, CERN, etc.

I cant think of anything that windows is better at, except crashing.
    I've had a few X window crashes but nothing major and nothing that lost data. I moved to linux in 1999 and never looked back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The biggest advantage of Linux?

Choice.
    Choice of desktop environment, choice of Distro, Choice of thousands of free applications, Choice of how you use the computer that you own.
    I choose freedom.
    The sig between the asterisks is SO COOL that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

Beans
    Distro

I have been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and absolutely love it myself. Thanks for the input hopefully few more and I can document this

Beans
    Distro

For the average user its hard to ask them Q's based on Linux no ideas where to start.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Linux is proven on servers and still largely experimental on the desktop. So I think some questions should be used to determine what the user wants to use his or her computer for.

For businesses who need servers, Linux (and Unix) is great and proven. For professionals who need specific software, the software may not be available for Linux. For big time heavy-duty gaming, sorry, Linux. Not yet, anyway.

For home users who just want to surf the net, do Facebook, e-mail, shop online, pay bills online, write letters, do school work and such, Linux has the advantage of being free (as in cost) and full of options to choose from for all those home uses. Big win for Linux at home for "ordinary use."

So the questions depend on what the user intends to use a computer for. You might end up with separate questionnaires for home users, business users, professionals, and gamers.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your replies much appreciated. Cant say same for windows forum got zero replies

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    Thank you for your replies much appreciated. Cant say same for windows forum got zero replies
    Probably because the vast majority of Windows users have no clue what Linux is. And that's going to be a huge problem right there. Linux users almost certainly have used Windows, but not the other way around.

Anyway, Peripheral Visionary had a good reply. That's pretty much what I would say. It all depends on what kind of user is answering the questionnaire.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To spoon-feed the OP:

Do you or your organization use the GNU/Linux Operating System (hereafter, Linux)?
    If so, why?

Have you or your organization switched from Windows to Linux?
    If so, why?

Do you or your organization use both Windows and Linux Operating Systems (hereafter, OS)?
    If so, why do you use both OS?

What are the major advantages and disadvantages of both OS, in your opinion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast