Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mission of ubuntu

Beans

mission of ubuntu

What is the mission of Ubuntu? I am a bit confused on that. Can someone explain?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: mission of ubuntu

deleted

disn't realize it was a nonsense thread
    Last edited by mikewhatever; October 7th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Beans

but wouldn't that be done better by tackling some of the larger issues within Linux that tend to scare away many people?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What larger issues in linux should they be focusing on?
    I don't know a lot of people who've run away from linux systems, but I do know a lot of people who've never heard of it.

Beans

Hardly anyone has heard about Linux. Even though about 900,000 people are turning to Linux per day. I don't think Linux is scary. They just need know that if there a problem with their Linux distro just to use google.

Beans

there is still a heavy focus on CLI, the file architecture system isn't friendly at all and the usage of Wine is still annoying to use when you are trying to run a Windows software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by james64468 View Post
    Hardly anyone has heard about Linux. Even though about 900,000 people are turning to Linux per day. I don't think Linux is scary. They just need know that if there a problem with their Linux distro just to use google.
    900M new Linux users/day ? that's exciting! I need a source for this figure!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by num View Post
    What is the mission of Ubuntu? I am a bit confused on that. Can someone explain?
    ...mission of Ubuntu or of Linux -- both? I'll take the meaning as "both"

to me: the mission is to promote a better alternative to MSFT/Windows

I'm quite the "blabber fingers" on these nets as correspondents here probably already suspect,-- but hey! this is a good forum !!

Windows as we know is derived from a GUI which was pasted on top of the DOS O/S which was obtained for the 5150 IBM/PC. The PC was designed to be maleable: to be modified by the owner to be whatever the owner wanted. Install expansion cards, hook the interrupt vectors with a C program -- you name it -- people were encouraged to modify their systems at will .system modifications were exploited to such a degree by windows developers that many windows applications would not run as an ordinary user -- administrative privilege was required .and so lot of windows systems were run with administrator privilege just making it easy for hackers

Linux is derived from Unix -- which was developed at PARC along with C -- by the legendary Brian Kerrnigan and Dennis Ritche. Unix was designed to provide a computer for controlling telephone switching -- and security was built in at the start

Jan.15 2002 -- Bill Gates issues his famous letter to all MSFT FTE making security Priority 1 -- has hackers were making hay out of Windows

Aug. 2004 -- SP2 for Windows/XP : the first serious attempt to make Windows a secure O/S

Windows /VISTA -- windows finally has UAC -- designed to allow system owners to stop un-authorized updates

Today: Windows continues to receive patches for security 2d Tue of every month as hackers dig up new "zero day" defects ,seemingly every day

now, you ask about the purpose of Ubuntu/Linux ?

well, I warned ya, I'm an old Blabber Fingers

to me, what I'm looking for is a system that is adequately secured to allow electronic commerce

now I know a lot of people are doing "electronic commerce" , "rats to the torpedoes ... "

in the opening groves of Waylon Jennings song "Bob Wills is Still the King" Waylon sings "That's what gave us the idea to come down here"

It's a live recording and we hear a voice from the audience: "Is that a good idea?"

I think that question would apply to using an insecure O/S for electronic commerce -- or to handle any sensitive data

I ain't bashing Windows or MSFT: their record speaks for itself.
    Last edited by mike acker; October 7th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

there is still a heavy focus on CLI, the file architecture system isn't friendly at all and the usage of Wine is still annoying to use when you are trying to run a Windows software.
    There is not a heavy focus on the CLI; forum users often give a CLI answer as using a GUI will be very different depending on the version of ubuntu in use and/or the DE on the system. There are too many variables to say "press this button then press that button" etc etc, whereas the CLI will nearly always be the same command.

The file architecture, by which I assume you mean the filesystem (folder) hierarchy is only unfriendly to you because you are not used to it. If I now see the windows folder hierarchy I get totally lost as I have not used windows now for about 7 years, having started with ubuntu 5.04 way back in 2005. To me the linux filesystem makes perfect sense!

As for the use of wine, why do you need it? I suggest you use the linux alternative applications for the jobs you want to do, and if there really isn't an alternative, why not dual boot or use a virtual machine in virtualbox or other virtualisation software.

Those 900M new users are probably smartphone users with android machines, as they are now totally overtaking the numbers of computers in use. Most people do probably not realise that android is linux beneath the surface.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The big problem is that users come to Ubuntu, expecting a windows alternative, and try to apply the knowledge they've gained over the years to using Ubuntu, and finding that what they learned, can't be transferred to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has got to the point, where there really isn't a need for the CLI. In day to day usage, of my desktop system, I only use a terminal when I feel like it, there really isn't a need for it.

The file system doesn't make sense, if you are used to the way Windows hides most of the important directories in /Windows. After you've spent several years using a Linux distribution, the file system makes a lot more sense than the Windows file system.

For instance I find the Windows file system confusing, as it looks like they keep adding directories without fixing anything. Witness the duplication between Documents and Settings and Users. There also seems to be no set place where user programs are installed. Some of them are in the 40+ directories located under the Windows directory, while others are located in Program Files and Program Files(X86), and what is the Program Data directory for?

Windows has done a great job of hiding the way it works from it's users, I personally prefer the openness of a Linux distribution.

Edit At the moment, my Windows 8 installation is kind of useless, as it wants me to remove the network card, before the drivers can be installed, where as all I did is shut down the system running Ubuntu, insert the network card, and restart the system. The NIC was automagically detected, and the driver loaded without any fanfare.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 7th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast