Thread: Doubt about multiple terminals

Beans

Doubt about multiple terminals

Hello,

This is not a terrible situation whatsoever, it's just a doubt.

I use the Ubuntu Text Editor (gedit) to write my C++ codes. I've been trying to get used to using the terminal for everything I do since it's faster to do things that way and it makes me look like I'm smart

For me it's more convenient to use Ctrl+Alt+T to open the terminal and then type gedit + fileName to access the Text Editor. The problem is that when I open the editor using the terminal then I can't use the same terminal for other things because it's left in some kind of standby mode.

After using the terminal to open the text editor I always need to open a new one to compile and run my code. Later I found out that I can simply open a new tab and have the two terminals working simultaneously in the same window.

Again, this is not a terrible situation but is that the correct way to go about this issue? or is there a way to release my first terminal from the text editor so that I only use one terminal for different purposes?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Doubt about multiple terminals

Add an & to the command and it will run in the background freeing up the terminal for other commands.

Beans

Thanks a lot! just what I needed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Hi knightmetal, if your problem is solved, please mark the thread as 'Solved' under thread tools. Thanks!