Thread: portable encrypted volume creator

Beans

portable encrypted volume creator

Hi, I'd like to backup my stuff to an encrypted virtual volume on USB drive and then be able to open it in MS Windows easily (in case I lose access to my home linux machine). What tool do you advise?

Google tells me truecrypt is the thing I need, but unfortunately truecrypt is not in Ubuntu repos (because of licencing issues, if I got that right). Then, google told me that standard way to do what I want in Ubuntu is through dm-crypt/LUKS. But, then there is no way to use that volume on Windows (or at least it's not trivial). So is there a tool which is in Ubuntu repos and for which there is a free tool on MS Windows which allows me to backup my home dir to an encrypted file on my USB disk?

I do not need all that fancy boot sector encrypthion, plausible deniability. All I need is to rsync my home directory to the USB drive and have it encrypted there. So, what's the standard way to do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: portable encrypted volume creator

It's true that TrueCrypt isn't in the repositories, but that does not mean it is unavailable.

The 'downloads' section of the TrueCrypt website gives linux downloads, which I have used before and can confirm they work. TrueCrypt is a great tool (although there are other things that do similar stuff...)
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tornadof3 View Post
    It's true that TrueCrypt isn't in the repositories, but that does not mean it is unavailable.
    Yeah, but then I won't get updates etc. That's why I'd prefer a tool which is in the repositories. Except if truecrypt is by far the best tool available in which case it would be reasonable to install it by hand.

Beans

TrueCrypt is the best way to go -- all you have to do is check for updates once every three months. But if you don't want to use it you could give encfs a try.

I have never used encfs4win so I can not say if it will work, but I am sure that if this one does not work there is another out there for windows that will.
    http://members.ferrara.linux.it/freddy77/encfs.html

You would have to setup the encrypted window in windows first then open it using your linux distro -- otherwise you may end up with settings that the windows version can not handle.

To mount a folder from your flashdrive/hdd
    Code:
    encfs /medial/NAME ~/tmp
    -=:Edit #1:=-
    Here is a link with more information.
    http://www.funzt.info/?p=910
    Last edited by BrandonIngalls; October 9th, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonIngalls View Post
    But if you don't want to use it you could give encfs a try.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into encfs and compare it with truecrypt and then decide.