Thread: Boot-repair problem

Beans

Boot-repair problem

Hello,

I use windows 7 , i have three partitions C: , D: , E: . I was reducing the space of D: and E: to allow more space for the C: when the E: partitions disappear after rebooting i've try to use partition magic and Eauseus partition tool but i wasn't be able to recover the partition .

Then i use Testdisk he found that my system partition was in confilct with the E: missing partition . I followed the instruction in the tutorial and press to write . Reboot and the MBR message appears.

I download Ubuntu and Bootrepair , but unfortunately that won't work either . I've tried with the Windows 7 boot cd and when i was using the repair tool it was repair but don't working.

I was thinking to upgrade to an SSD and add another HDD for more space . So do you think i can repair it or at least recover the data on it ( the E: missing) because i still have the D: .

Thanks !
    Last edited by hagdouglas; October 7th, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Beans

Re: Boot-repair problem

The link for the report : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1265681/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I download Ubuntu and Bootrepair , but unfortunately that won't work either . I've tried with the Windows 7 boot cd and when i was using the repair tool it was repair but don't working.
    Did you choose to run 'Recommended Repair'? It only ran Boot Info Report.
    See at line 210 what the repair would do and where the user chose the options.

=================== Default settings
    Recommended-Repair This setting would restore the [(generic mbr)] MBR in sda, and make it boot on sda2. Additional repair would be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s fix-windows-boot

=========== Settings chosen by the user
    Boot-Info This setting will not act on the MBR.
    Last edited by critin; October 7th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Hi,

I downloaded the edtion with bootrepair included and run the "Recommended Repair"
    And its still won't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Boot-repair is not a wonder tool that can help you anytime windows messes up your system. First of all, you are not even dual booting, don't you think you can get more expert help for windows on windows forums?

What I can see right away, is that you are missing one of the boot files of win7, the /bootmgr on /dev/sda2.

I am not sure why you tried boot-repair at all, don't you have your win7 dvd? That would be the first option to try to repair your boot.

It seems you tried to do too much at once, you have to be very careful with partitioning, and don't try anything "too exotic" especially without a full backup of your system.
    If you do have a full backup, simply rearrange your hdd and restore the backup, it will be much faster than trying to sort this out.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit