Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding NIC on VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Adding NIC on VirtualBox

Hi
    First of all,Sorry for insufficient information.
    i thing i get your point. but, because of i have limited resources(only one pc).
    i will try to add another physical nic in my pc, so one physical nic for promisc mode and another one for nonpromisc. And i will look over my network topo again and make it simple. If still dont work, i have no choice to get a dedicated machine for my ids.T_T

Thanks for your advice!Really appreciate it.
    i will update later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Sorry. Now I'm the one being unclear.

You do not need another physical NIC. You just need to make sure that you delete all virtual NICs except one. In other words, you should only have eth0. Your problems are caused by creating eth1 and eth2. That is what I mean by simplifying your system. In your case, buying another physical NIC may actually make your system too complicated again.

Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi All
    i doing some simple testing to understanding the virtualbox networking.
    And Yes, it just like what DuckHook said,
    Right now, you are running into problems because you are asking your one NIC to do two contradictory things at the same time. You have set it in promiscuous mode for Snort, and you have set it in nonpromiscuous mode for Internet browsing. This is what happens when you bind the same physical NIC to two virtual NICs in a virtual machine. This is not possible and just cannot work.
    i found that:
    1. we cannot set two bridged virtual nic assigned to single physical nic within the same Virtual Machine
    2. we cannot set bridged and NAT to single physical nic within the same machine.
    3. we cannot set promisc mode and non if we use single physical nic.

So,if we want to have two nic in the virtual machine, we need two physical nic in the hosting machine.

Thanks again for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12