Thread: Part Time Job Opportunity - Server Admin

Beans

Part Time Job Opportunity - Server Admin

Greetings:

I am looking for a part-time server manager to preside over ~6 server deployments for various business interests of mine. The workload would range from 20 hours some weeks to 0-2 hours most weeks.

Experience with, or at least familiarity with, the following would be important:
    * Thorough, clean, organized, and well-presented documentation for the programming guys to utilize, and for your own benefit months and years down the line.
    * CentOS/RHL
    * Standard LAMP stack
    * DNS/SSL considerations
    * Apache mods, PHP extensions - installation and configuration
    * Knowledge of an appropriate scripting language to run cron tasks
    * r1soft's CDP offering
    * Nagios/icinga monitoring
    * Server security considerations and best practices

Experience that would be helpful to have but not necessary:
    * PHP/MySQL usage
    * Load balancing, distributed computing (we deal with dedicated and VPS machines now, but may be dealing with things of this nature in the future)
    * Amazon's cloud offerings or similar offerings. (right now, as a quickly-available alternative server to our dedicated machines for high-availability applications)

Please send me a PM if you think you're a good match.

Beans

Re: Part Time Job Opportunity - Server Admin

I find it strange that a new poster would announce a job opening without any mention of where they are located or what company they work for. Not even a link to a website? This looks like the same spam message that's been showing up on other server forums.

Beans

Not spam - job is completely telecommuting via Skype and e-mail, so, location not very important and it's just myself and a small group of programmers who also work from home putting this together, so nothing too fancy there either. It seems like a reasonable list of requirements to put out there for a server admin position, and freelancing isn't exactly something new to the internet.

Anything else you'd like to know or if you're interested in the job, just let me know.

Beans

Dear Sir,

Indeed I am a contract system administrator, so do please reply with your telephone number and I shall ring you up so we can discuss the full compliment of terms and aranging a time to have an interview if requisite.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcorta View Post
    Not spam - job is completely telecommuting via Skype and e-mail, so, location not very important and it's just myself and a small group of programmers who also work from home putting this together, so nothing too fancy there either. It seems like a reasonable list of requirements to put out there for a server admin position, and freelancing isn't exactly something new to the internet.

Anything else you'd like to know or if you're interested in the job, just let me know.
    Please excuse me, I stand corrected. Would you mind expanding a bit on what the business is? You mentioned "business interests" and I'm curious what it is you do exactly. How much would the position pay? Do you have a website or Facebook page? I'm a big fan of freelance jobs, and I'd like to know as much as possible about the position before signing up.