Thread: Accidentally overwritten FAT, need to recover partitions!

Beans

Accidentally overwritten FAT, need to recover partitions!

Hi guys, I just gave myself a massive heart attack!

So I was rejigging the boot sector of a USB device when I identically wiped the wrong drive using fdisk.

My 320Gb drive is now screwed, it should still contain my windows 7 install, Ubuntu 12.04 install, swap disk and maybe one for grub but Im not too sure how that works.

Which tool is best to recover the partitions?? The data is valuable so I cant just reinstall. Also I cant boot into either so I need a bootCD solution if possible. Hope you can help!

Thanks

Tom
    Last edited by sffvba[e0rt; October 8th, 2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: langauge

Beans

Re: Accidentally overwritten FAT, need to recover partitions!

OK, I have managed to recover the linux partition and the swap. According to testdisk the windows partition is unrecoverable due to the MFT and backup MFT being 'bad'. So anyone know any cool tricks or is it time to break out the file recovery software and do the old OS rebuild??

Beans

Do you have any data on the win partition. Should be able to easily recover the data but not so sure about restoring the OS short of inserting the original disk and trying to run a repair or else a fresh install.

Beans

Yeah ill have to pull that data off sometime tomorrow. I tried to use the windows disc but it didnt even recognise the OS to repair it and just offered a new install. Guess I know what im doing monday morning...