Thread: Grub cannot be installed no matter what

Beans

Grub cannot be installed no matter what

I am currently trying to get my grub back. I have tried everything from reinstalling, to boot-repair, and even super boot manager. Nothing seems to work.
    I have created a log with boot-repair:
    paste.ubuntu.com/1259258
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Beans

Re: Grub cannot be installed no matter what

Well i am no expert...but the logfile contains a warning, maybe that is the error?

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util sfdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piddewest View Post
    Well i am no expert...but the logfile contains a warning, maybe that is the error?

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util sfdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted
    You may be onto something. The GPT was mentioned in the windows install disc. Is it possible to change the GPT to the right Partition table (MBR I believe)?

Edit: I know it is possible, but could it be done without losing data?
    Last edited by Roflcopterofl; October 4th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Beans

Sorry. That i can not anwser....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have gpt are you booting in UEFI mode? Then you do not want MBR.

You did have grub installed to MBR, but it looks like Boot-Repair fixed it and added it to the efi boot menu.

Are you booting in UEFI mode not in BIOS mode. Boot files look like they are in efi partition. From UEFI/BIOS what boot choices do you have?

I do not see Boot-Repair offering to add the correct efi chainload entries. Was Windows in efi mode originally?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.