Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Non-Debian/Ubuntu Distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Your Favorite Non-Debian/Ubuntu Distro?

I don't know which is my favorite -- I might change my mind tomorrow -- but the non-Debian/Ubuntu distros installed here are openSUSE, Fedora, and Sabayon. I enjoy using all three.

Beans

For all those sabayon users how hard would it be to install sabayon xfce and then remove all the sabayon additions to gentoo and have a running gentoo without all the time consuming install?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

We use RHEL at work; so, for home use I install CentOS. It is just because I am familiar with it. If I was going to use an RPM bases OS for a desktop, I would find something else. RHEL and therefore CentOS have desktop software; however, that is not their main interest. They focus mainly on servers.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 8th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    For all those sabayon users how hard would it be to install sabayon xfce and then remove all the sabayon additions to gentoo and have a running gentoo without all the time consuming install?
    I'm pretty sure that would beat the point of Gentoo, since Sabayon doesn't compile itself from source onto your computer (I think - I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I used Sabayon)

OT: Fedora and openSUSE are tied for me.

Beans

My favorite Distro is Arch-based. I love the Arch linux base and ease to maintain, coupled with Speed and pure user empowerment. The Debian-based distro crawls in comparison on same hardware regardless of Desktop environment used.

Ubuntu and Zorin are nice and still remain my favorite to recommend to totally new users to Linux.

My favorite distro and number one recommended distro for non-beginning users is BridgeLinux and/or Archbang - These are all easier install version of Archlinux. After install, they are essentially Archlinux, but with alot of the basic apps you can use to get going along with a ready- gui desktop environment.

It has been hard to use or stay with any other Distro since discovering these two distrolets.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Another big +1 for Arch.

I like the whole KISS philosophy as well as not having to upgrade every 6 months to get the latest software versions. Also just installing Arch will teach you more about Linux than running Ubuntu for years will do.

Arch is my OS of choice on my home workstation and laptop, but where I'm in charge of IT at work it's Ubuntu LTS all the way.

A couple of links for those that don't know about Arch:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

Also I must mention #!. Whenever I'm asked to breathe life back into and old machine then CrunchBang is always the first distro that comes to mind.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; October 8th, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I think that would be a lot harder than just installing Gentoo.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I'm pretty sure that would beat the point of Gentoo, since Sabayon doesn't compile itself from source onto your computer (I think - I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I used Sabayon)
    Sure it does. That's the beautiful thing about Sabayon. You have your choice of using Portage for compiling everything, or Entropy to install binary packages.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Non-Debian? That only leaves Slackware-based distros! Like SalixOS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post

OT: Fedora and openSUSE are tied for me.
    fair enough. i just don't have the patience to install regular old gentoo. and it would probably take forever compiling on my netbook. i tried sabayon 5 awhile ago and was pretty impressed.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

...i tried sabayon 5 awhile ago and was pretty impressed.
    Try it again if you get a chance. They're up to Sabayon 10 now. I really liked it a lot. I'm using Fuduntu as my primary OS. Thinking of installing Sabayon 10 again and dual booting to get more familiar with Sabayon.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast