Thread: Deleting

Beans

Question Deleting

Afternoon chaps

I need help understanding how Ubuntu deletes files and folders from removable media sources. I am using 12.04 LTS and when I delete something from my memory stick (Move to trash) it all disappears and shows up in the trash can but no memory is freed up during the process. When I plug the memory stick into a windows machine i see a .Trash100 folder that contains all the stuff i deleted in my Ubuntu.

Is there another way of deleting stuff that makes it all go away and free up space without having to format my volume every time?

Thanks

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Deleting

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydeedsman View Post
    Afternoon chaps

I need help understanding how Ubuntu deletes files and folders from removable media sources. I am using 12.04 LTS and when I delete something from my memory stick (Move to trash) it all disappears and shows up in the trash can but no memory is freed up during the process. When I plug the memory stick into a windows machine i see a .Trash100 folder that contains all the stuff i deleted in my Ubuntu.

Is there another way of deleting stuff that makes it all go away and free up space without having to format my volume every time?

Thanks
    One of:
    1) While your media is mounted, after deleting files, empty the trash can.
    2) Open a terminal, cd to the media (usual /media/<something>), and type "rm <filename>" or "rm *.*". Note rm *.* removes all files in the directory your located, use with extreme care. I almost always type "ls *.*" just prior to insure I'm doing what I think I'm doing.
    3) There's also a way to add a 'delete' option to the context menu which deletes the files rather than 'move to trash', but I'm not up to speed on how to implement that.
    Last edited by aeronutt; October 6th, 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you hit SHIFT+DEL then the file will be removed completely without moving it to the trash.
    Cheesemill

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you hit SHIFT+DEL then the file will be removed completely without moving it to the trash.
    There we go!! Better than any of my 3 above

Beans

Thank you guys, both methods work propeerly.