Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Touchpad

Beans

HP Touchpad

Anyone got one? How is WebOS as a web-browser only device at $100 or so? Any luck putting Android on it?

Apparently, HP is going to do another production run at loss and potentially sell the last of them for $100...
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Re: HP Touchpad

I was invited to have a look at them just before release, to be honest I wouldn't bother, they are just not worth it.

The Samsung and Acer Android Tablets and iPad are hugely superior.
    This account is not active.

Beans

android is a work in process, last time i checked android was booting, but not usable yet, see the video in the link below

http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/8/30/cya...roid-touchpad/

i have seen people running Ubuntu in a chroot, but i dont see ubuntu being very useable on a tablet.

I did order one but am having problem with the courier tracking it down

I already have an android tabet (eee transformer) but for the price of the hp touchpad i figured it was worth ago.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried to pick one up the day they dropped to $100 but due to retailer's being confused or not updating their price lists I wasn't able to pick one up. At $100 its cheaper than a Kindle so that's an upside.

I can't see dropping $400 or $500 on any tablet. I have Viewsonic G tablet that I got for under $300 and even that I feel I over paid. For these prices I rather get a laptop. $500 laptops are pretty decent these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have one. I was in Best Buy the other Saturday explaining to a sales rep that although they had pulled the Touchpad and weren't selling it that was a mistake and in fact they were participating according to what I had just seen on the web. Sure enough he checks the store site and at 6:06 pm the instructions came in countermanding the pull and ordering the firesale. He goes in back to bring them back out on the floor. An HP rep. is there by happy chance and I verify the warranty and that the HP webOS site is staying up with her. So I picked up a 32 GB.

I like it. WebOS seems OK to me. Not sure I want to put Android on it. Like the Quick Office update that just came through adding editing.

It seems fine as a browser and has flash. Basically got myself a color e-book reader cheap and it does a lot more besides. What's not to like?
    Last edited by Favux; September 1st, 2011 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What's not to like?
    Give it a whiff, you'll probably notice that it has the slight aroma of fail on it. That might be a deal breaker for some.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Madspyman View Post
    Give it a whiff, you'll probably notice that it has the slight aroma of fail on it. That might be a deal breaker for some.
    Touchpad is nowhere near a fail. HP dropping it although partly due to lack of immediate success, it was mostly because they have decided to go the software route and continue focusing on enterprise. HP never even really put much time into the Touchpad and released a buggy product until later updating it and with less than competitive hardware. But it had real promise and could have been a huge competitor in the future.

I'm a huge Android fan. But in terms of the shear OS and nothing else. WebOS is by far the best and most intuitive hands down. I'd like to think that HP will either sell it off or license it, but WebOS is far from dead.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    Touchpad is nowhere near a fail. HP dropping it although partly due to lack of immediate success, it was mostly because they have decided to go the software route and continue focusing on enterprise. HP never even really put much time into the Touchpad and released a buggy product until later updating it and with less than competitive hardware. But it had real promise and could have been a huge competitor in the future.

I'm a huge Android fan. But in terms of the shear OS and nothing else. WebOS is by far the best and most intuitive hands down. I'd like to think that HP will either sell it off or license it, but WebOS is far from dead.
    The impression I got from using the TouchPad was, WebOS is OK but just that OK. Android 3* and IOS is quicker, more intuitive and just seem more polished and finished.

WebOS fealt like a Beta.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    It seems fine as a browser and has flash. Basically got myself a color e-book reader cheap and it does a lot more besides. What's not to like?
    That was my reasoning, too. The Touchpad was a great deal at $100 or $150. Unfortunately, I had two orders with different online retailers - both canceled. Also waited in line at a local Best Buy in hopes of picking one up, but no luck there, either .

I already have an Android tablet (Nook Color running CM7) and figured my family would enjoy the Touchpad.
    Last edited by PhilGil; September 1st, 2011 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The impression I got from using the TouchPad was, WebOS is OK but just that OK. Android 3* and IOS is quicker, more intuitive and just seem more polished and finished.

WebOS fealt like a Beta.
    I've never actually tried out a Touchpad, but I was willing to take my chances at $100. There was a recent software update and some tweaks that reportedly make Web OS significantly peppier. I have read review that say it feels less polished than iOS, however.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast