Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gnome settings daemon not responding

Beans

Re: Gnome settings daemon not responding

Thanks for the link. I read that thread and others about problems with ATI video cards. If there's a solution, it's way over my head. At this point, my system is constantly locking up requiring me to shut off the power. Perhaps I'll try another version of Ubuntu in the future.

Beans

Well, after wandering off in a huff, I decided to take one last try. I deleted the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04, reformatted, and installed the 64-bit version. I activated the proprietary ATI driver and now everything seems to be working perfectly. There's no more "gnome settings" error when I log out. Plus, I seem to be getting the transparency and other visual effects that were missing before. For the moment at least, I'm enjoying Ubuntu very much. Thank you all for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityGeoff View Post
    Well, after wandering off in a huff, I decided to take one last try. I deleted the 32-bit version of Ubuntu 12.04, reformatted, and installed the 64-bit version. I activated the proprietary ATI driver and now everything seems to be working perfectly. There's no more "gnome settings" error when I log out. Plus, I seem to be getting the transparency and other visual effects that were missing before. For the moment at least, I'm enjoying Ubuntu very much. Thank you all for your help!
    Sweet! I'm glad this is working....I'm going to be able to add this to the bag of tricks of when there is an issue making sure which OS is installed.

Please mark this thread as solved and at any point in time we can be of assistance here in the forum do not hesitate. Good luck my friend!

Beans

Question Re: Gnome settings daemon not responding

I realize this is solved. The solution of going to 64bit worked!! I even took a chance and hand installed the 64bit ATI drivers and they work (I was pretty sure I was gonna have to rebuild again on that one, but, lo and behold, it's working...Article link here). More than the "GNOME settings daemon" error disappearing, a bug where the GUI has terminal commands appearing in the middle of the graphics screen, they disappeared, too!! AND, also fixed, the built in sound card works. I have an Asus P8Z77-V Pro MB and before I had to go to Realtek and download and install their linux sound drivers, but now sound works right off the Ubuntu-alternate install disk. I wonder if that fix has something to do with me using a 12.04.1 installer instead of the original 12.04 installer.

So, here's my question:

Why did going to the 64bit version of 12.04 work??? I realize CPUs are 64bit, but I don't understand why this works better than 32bit ESPECIALLY since Ubuntu recommends the 32bit version. Anybody got any ideas?

Sadly, I've been using Ubuntu for about four years, and I still consider myself a beginner. I'm still trying to figure linux out.

Beans

Question Re: Gnome settings daemon not responding

This does not appear to be solved because although going to 64-bit worked to get the gnome settings daemon problem to stop I cannot get the drivers to install, I have a 7850 and every time I install it freezes on restart. I am completely new to linux so this is really confusing for me. I tried going to amd and manually downloading and installing but I apparently have no clue how to do that either. I would really like some help, I wanted to avoid putting any Microsoft products on this computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123