Thread: Install doesn't see hard disks

Beans

Install doesn't see hard disks

Let me explain. I have a brand new pc (well, a brand new mother board with a used 160Gb sata disk).
    The MB is an Asus P8H 61-M LE (H61 B3 revision 3.0) (this is what the box says!).
    I try to install ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit from a flash drive.
    I stress that the HDD is empty and ubuntu is the only OS which will ever populate it (if I will succeed in the installation).
    When booting I have two option for the device: "Flash drive" or "UEFI Flash drive". I tried both with the same result, which follows.
    I start ubuntu from the pendrive, then I launch the installation program.
    I go through the first step (language selection) and the second step (updates and third part software selection).

The third step should be, in principle, the selection between
    "Clear disk and install" / "Install beside an other OS" / "Manual partitioning"

Instead, it skips directly to manual partitioning (which, anyway, is what I would choose myself).
    At that moment, my disks are
    /dev/sda = my 160Gb HDD
    /dev/sdb = my 2Gb usb disk
    The problem is that sda is not recognized and the only disk which is shown is sdb, i.e. the usb pendrive. So, the only thing I can do is stopping installation.

On the other side, if I start fdisk inside a shell or GParted, with both of them I can edit sda and I can partition it at my will.

I tried to start the installation tool after having partitioned my HDD or after having cleared all partitions and left it completely empty, but the result is still the same.

I tried to change some options in the bios; in particular, the sata disk can be set to "Ide mode" or "AHCI mode": I tried both of them, but the result is still the same.

I really don't know what else to try...

TIA for your help.

PS: till tonight I will not be able to do try again, but in any case the output of
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
    was absolutely "normal", in the sense that it was exactly like the output I get for my other 3 pc with linux on them, with the obvious differences due to different disk geometry and capacity: that is, something like (when unpartitioned)

[root:~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00067126

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 4th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: Install doesn't see hard disks

As said in another thread, the problem is solved.

It was due to the fact that the disk was used and it has been used in fakeraid before: the raid metadata where not properly removed.

The fix for the problem was to install in the live distribution dmraid and then remove the metadata with

sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    Last edited by egalua; October 4th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by egalua View Post
    As said in another thread, the problem is solved.

It was due to the fact that the disk was used and it has been used in fakeraid before: the raid metadata where not properly removed.

The fix for the problem was to install in the live distribution dmraid and then remove the metadata with

sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now it works your a king !!!!!!!

Beans

Bentzi, it is not me that you have to thank but darkod who, in this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12277246

in your thread, gave the solution.

Anyway, I'm glad you solved: all in all, it was actually the same problem.