Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best OS/Desktop Enviroment for performance ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best OS/Desktop Enviroment for performance ?

But does anyone know any distro's which still run gnome 2.x/gnome classic ? (Cuz I love it )
    Ab Aeterno Scientia Potentia est

http://thevoid.in/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyb3r_sn4k3 View Post
    But does anyone know any distro's which still run gnome 2.x/gnome classic ? (Cuz I love it )
    The only ones I know are: Ubuntu 10.04, Fuduntu, Debian Squeeze, CentOS, Scientific Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Crunchbang Crunchbang Crunchbang

I run it on an ancient decade old Sony Vaio and it occasionally out performs my new KDE machine. It uses Openbox for a DE so you dont get any bells or whistles, but if you want something thats lightweight yet still fully functional, you really cant beat it.
    You can add whatever features or eyecandy you want to it, the beauty of Openbox is you're literally presented with a blank canvas, although Crunchbang comes with Tint2, compositing managers, and Conky by default. I would swap out Tint2 with LXpanel and tweak LXpanel to emulate GNOME panel though, but that's my preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Mind sharing the specs?
    650 MHZ Celeron
    254 MB RAM

I had XP on it long ago and had boot times of around 15 minutes. Then I put Lubuntu on it and it ran pretty well, but still hung sometimes. With Crunchbang, I wouldnt say it flies, but its more than usable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyb3r_sn4k3 View Post
    Try elementaryos Luna. The Gala window manager is responsive and the Pantheon desktop boots and loads fast.

You will love the slingshot launcher dash. Any application you need to run frequently can be dragged and dropped to the Plank dock.

Intuitive, simple and stable. Not a GNOME 2 clone but it fulfills your requirements for a lean desktop quite nicely - based by the way on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Razor qt is very minimal and fast.

If the hardware is like a Pentium 4 or higher you might want to use Kubuntu and install kubuntu-low-fat-settings. See my signature for a fast KDE.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kio_http View Post
    Razor qt is very minimal and fast.

If the hardware is like a Pentium 4 or higher you might want to use Kubuntu and install kubuntu-low-fat-settings. See my signature for a fast KDE.

Hey. Firstly nice post its a great guide. Secondly how much RAM do you think razor qt or a modded KDE would use ?
    Ab Aeterno Scientia Potentia est

http://thevoid.in/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12