Thread: Github???

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Github???

What is Github and how does it work? Sometimes i come across a link to a github site but i don't know what it is and how it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Github???

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    What is Github and how does it work? Sometimes i come across a link to a github site but i don't know what it is and how it works.
    GitHub offers online project hosting using the git version control system. It's basically a place online to easily share code with others in an easy and managable fashion.

The best thing you can do is read the information on their site as it covers anything you might like to know: https://github.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not ububtu support.

Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Social coding. I can store my code on there for projects and easily share them with others.
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    The main GitHub page leads to multiple articles and tutorials but you can start from things like Wikipedia as a foundation. As mentioned earlier, it's a foundation for social coding. An example is the simple ability to share your code examples with other people, or search through other people's code to find ways to solve your own problems. Also, there are other tools out there, like bl.ocks.org that act as "viewers" over github code, allowing you to do things like actually see the running code, such as graphical visualizations from the D3.js library. Very cool.

In short, github is very useful and I suggest spending the time to learn it.