Thread: localhost as dns server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question localhost as dns server?

After upgrading my desktop to Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin I observed that, though I have configured my network connection (cable Ethernet) including a primary DNS server address, which hapens to be my ADSL router to the Internet, I always get my localhost as my DNS server:

Code:
    ~$ nslookup ubuntuforuns.org
    Server:		127.0.0.1
    Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	ubuntuforuns.org
    Address: 92.242.140.20
    Code:
    ~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    Why doesn't it just uses the nameserver I have specified? Can I tunr off this local service? How?

I have missed in 12.04 an utility to enable/disable services at boot time, showing all services installed, as there were in previous Ubuntu versions, such as 10.04.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

Re: localhost as dns server?

This is the new way of doing things (resolvconf / dnsmasq) - this page explains it pretty well, I think

http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for your information steel driver. As my desktop is not part of any VPN, just a simple member of a home network with access to the Internet through an ADSL router, can we do things the old way, switching back to a standard dns client? Can I uninstall resolvconf?
    TIA

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by joelgsf View Post
    Thank you for your information steel driver. As my desktop is not part of any VPN, just a simple member of a home network with access to the Internet through an ADSL router, can we do things the old way, switching back to a standard dns client? Can I uninstall resolvconf?
    TIA
    On DHCP configured interfaces you can use the resolvconf package to dynamically configure the use of DNS servers. The thinking is that if you have a mobile host (laptop or some such), the interface configuration might change depending on where you are using the device. But instead, you can also configure the DNS servers statically via /etc/network/interfaces

I have a Ubuntu 12.04.1 server that I have configured statically while still using the resolvconf package. If you are using the resolvconf package it will look something like this (from my server)
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.1.5
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.1.0
            broadcast 192.168.1.255
            gateway 192.168.1.1
            # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
            dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
    So if you are statically configuring the interface you can remove resolvconf and use the /etc/resolv.conf file -- or you can leave the resolvconf package in place and just configure DNS in the /etc/network/interfaces file.

For more information on the resolvconf package see
    Code:
    man resolvconf
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro

So if you are statically configuring the interface you can remove resolvconf and use the /etc/resolv.conf file -- or you can leave the resolvconf package in place and just configure DNS in the /etc/network/interfaces file.
    This is my case. I am going to remove resolvconf. I like to have full control over my network
    But I believe that when using DHCP this same protocol cares for configuring everything, including DNS servers, is'nt it?
    Many thanks for your information. I am now more confident in removing resolvconf and stoping dnsmasq (what I had already done). Is there any way for removing dnsmasq without removing network-manager?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

... Is there any way for removing dnsmasq without removing network-manager?
    I don't know the answer to this one. I have only installed 12.04 Server Edition which has no Network Manager installed. If everything is statically configured why do you have Network Manager itself installed?

Read the link that @steeldriver has in his post if you don't want to remove Network Manager. I think I would just disable DNSMasq and be done with it.
    Last edited by bab1; October 7th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro

Ok Bab1, that's just how I'm working now. I need network-manager because sometimes I have to switch to other networks (contingency or testing purposes).
    Anyway, I feel confortable now. Thank you.

Beans

After upgrading my desktop to Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin I observed that, though I have configured my network connection (cable Ethernet) including a primary DNS server address, which hapens to be my ADSL router to the Internet, I always get my localhost as my DNS server:

Code:
    ~$ nslookup ubuntuforuns.org
    Server:		127.0.0.1
    Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	ubuntuforuns.org
    Address: 92.242.140.20
    Code:
    ~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    Why doesn't it just uses the nameserver I have specified?
    Because it is using the local forwarding nameserver instead.

And the local forwarding nameserver uses the nameserver address you specified.

Can I turn off this local service?
    Yes

How?
    By commenting out the line "dns=dnsmasq" in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

The introduction of a local forwarding nameserver is quite orthogonal to the introduction of resolvconf in Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by jdthood; October 29th, 2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo