Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firewall

Beans

Question Firewall

Hello, I want to know if Ubuntu version 12.04 has a Firewall and IpTable, I found this article:

http://mylinuxbook.com/linux-iptables/

I'm interested to use this feature, if it's possible to enable this option in Ubuntu version 12.04, please if somebody can show me how to do it, thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Firewall

I found this article about Ubuntu:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-cent...blunder-203467

After I read this article, I don't know if Ubuntu is a trust Operating System.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After reading the article I'm very hesitant about the 12.10 version, but, as of yet I see no security concerns to be worried over with 12.04 that I don't create myself (installing windows programs that might have an embedded virus).

I know this doesn't answer you question, It's really just posted to put you at ease with your security concerns for the 12.04 version.

As far as Firewalls: Open up Ubuntu Software Center and type in "Firewall" into the search bar. You will come up with a firewall builder and a firewall configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As usual, the press, creates these types of articles, to generate page reads. You can turn of the shopping feature in 12.10 (Quantal Quetzl) in less than 1 minute.

Iptables is a part of the Linux kernel, and can be used in all versions of Ubuntu, it is controlled via the command line via ufw, or graphically via gufw. Gufw isn't included in the default install, but can be installed using the Software Centre.

If you have further questions about firewalls, have a look at the Security Discussions sub-forum, as there is extensive help already available.

Edit: I see the thread was moved while I was posting.
    Last edited by cariboo; October 4th, 2012 at 04:29 AM.

Beans

Hello, thank you AndyOpie150, raja.genupula, and cariboo907 for replying, I want to learn Firewall by command line via ufw, thank you everybody this information is very helpful.

Beans

cariboo907 how can I Join the U+1 Development Releases Testing Team?, which level of knowledge do I need to be part of the U+1 Development Releases Testing Team?, and do I have to take some exam?, thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    As usual, the press, creates these types of articles, to generate page reads. You can turn of the shopping feature in 12.10 (Quantal Quetzl) in less than 1 minute.
    How many users do you believe would check that box in the global privacy manager if it were an "opt-in" feature?

Unauthorized or unintended outbound connections, regardless of their origin or intent are by definition a "bad" thing in the network world. I hope Cannonical is not on the road to becoming a commercial spyware vendor.

Beans

Outbound connections are fine. This isn't a big deal if it gets handled properly and in a secure manner - ie: not being sent over plaintext and only accepting packets from Canonical.

I'm not sure how many would opt into this. Most users are dumb and don't have a clue what they actually want.
    sig

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    Outbound connections are fine.
    Really? Unauthorized, unintended outbound connections? Even when their contents may contain personal data you were searching for on your local machine? Golly gee, take me back a decade ago when the Windows firewall controversy got started. (cough, cough)

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Man View Post
    Most users are dumb and don't have a clue what they actually want.
    That is EXACTLY what Canonical is banking on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast