Thread: Installing Ubuntu Server on Xseries 232

Beans

Installing Ubuntu Server on Xseries 232

So we're installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 on an old server at work....I'm wondering if maybe the server is too old for this release? Its last use was in 1999, but would that matter too much? Ubuntu is pretty light and runs well on older machines. Anyway, it boots from live cd (Sorta) and after a while this error pops up. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xchexldzo9...003_154646.jpg
    Anyone know whats with that? Do I need an older version? Is there another problem with the hardware?

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu Server on Xseries 232

may be is hardware problem. Try again with CentOS live cd .

Beans
    Hidden!

My googling indicates that machine is running p3 processor(s). It may not have pae support.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/11774...features-not-p

Beans

You're right it is a P3. It has two actually lol. So it wouldnt have support for ubuntu at all?

Edit: Never mind, I read the link you gave, thanks.
    Last edited by Phaze08; October 4th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hasan.akgoz View Post
    may be is hardware problem. Try again with CentOS live cd .
    I've never heard of this, enlighten me?

Beans

Ok.....we got Ubuntu 10.10 to install ok but for some reason the lan wont work...Ive never come across this issue before on ubuntu. It could be that the lan just doesnt work on this machine, it was an old server we salvaged but it has 3 lan plugs so Id hope one of them worked lol. I also thought maybe since 10.10 was a little unstable that could be the problem. Since Ive never used xubuntu I thought I'd install the latest version and maybe my lan would work with 2 years worth of updates lol. Weird thing is, when I put in the CD, it just boots Ubuntu and doesnt even try to boot from the live cd.
    I have the machine set to boot from cd first priority.

Beans
    Hidden!

10.10 has reached EOL. Whether you choose ubuntu or xubuntu go with either 10.04 or 11.10 as suggested in the above link.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Beans

Hmmm ok that makes sense thanks lol.
    Ill give it a shot

Beans

As far as your LAN port goes, I had a similar problems with my Dell PowerEdge 2400 when I tried out Mageia 2 on it. I fixed that by installing the the non-free drivers repository. Could be a similar issue?

By the way, I use Lubuntu 10.04 on my server.
    Last edited by PyroSamurai; October 11th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: suggestion

Beans

Well, it turns out our lan port was bad. (All of 3 of them. Used machines :/ ) But, we had a few laying around and popped one in and its good to go. Unfortunately its 32 bit so we can't build Android on it like we hoped to lol.