Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropped My Phone in Toilet Last Night

Beans

Dropped My Phone in Toilet Last Night

It was working immediately after I pulled it out. I washed it off and powered it down. Now this morning it will only vibrate once when i try to turn it on and then no other signs of life. I tried blowing it out with compressed air as well as vacuuming inside to try and get any water that might remain out but still no luck. Do i have any chance of recovering this thing?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dropped My Phone in Toilet Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    It was working immediately after I pulled it out. I washed it off and powered it down. Now this morning it will only vibrate once when i try to turn it on and then no other signs of life. I tried blowing it out with compressed air as well as vacuuming inside to try and get any water that might remain out but still no luck. Do i have any chance of recovering this thing?
    You should have taken it apart, and aired it out immediately after you dropped it into the toilet (its actually common, really). Water, and the stuff in the toilet had probably not touched any electronical equptment at the begining, but seeped through the phone overnight
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It was on the new Sherlock Holmes TV show last week. (USA)
    (Spoiler Alert)
    A fellow with Rice Allergies had a large bag of rice on the shelf.

Rice will help absorb the moisture as a desiccant.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Strip, dunk in isopropyl alcohol and leave to dry for a day or so.

First thing you should always do is remove the battery and not try to power it up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Jumped in a lake once to save two drowning little girls. Was far from thinking about the phone in my pocket. After all the swimming to get them away from the steep drop off they had slid down, my son reminded me I still had my phone in my pocket.

Turned it off immediately and we went home. Popped the back off, took out the battery and put it in a bag of rice for a couple of days.

The only damage was a very small black triangle in one corner of the screen. I kept using it until my next upgrade opportunity with my cell carrier.

Great stuff, rice.

The girls' parents, who were supervising their children from their car in the parking lot, probably wished they could have stuck their heads in bags of rice while I was yelling at them...
    Last edited by QIII; October 3rd, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Jumped in a lake once to save two drowning little girls. Was far from thinking about the phone in my pocket. After all the swimming to get them away from the steep drop off they had slid down, my son reminded me I still had my phone in my pocket.

Turned it off immediately and we went home. Popped the back off, took out the battery and put it in a bag of rice for a couple of days.

The only damage was a very small black triangle in one corner of the screen. I kept using it until my next upgrade opportunity with my cell carrier.

Great stuff, rice.

The girls' parents, who were supervising their children from their car in the parking lot, probably wished they could have stuck their heads in bags of rice while I was yelling at them...
    well i just put it in a bag of rice. here's hoping
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You might want to go with the isopropyl alcohol suggestion first.

E. Coli and E. faecalis, you know...

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

You might want to go with the isopropyl alcohol suggestion first.

E. Coli and E. faecalis, you know...
    alright it's in the alcohol. how long should i leave it in?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Eh. Not terribly long I would think. A few minutes ought to kill the nasties.

Beans

Eh. Not terribly long I would think. A few minutes ought to kill the nasties.
    oh i thought the alcohol was meant to displace and moisture in the phone. i was just wondering because somebody on youtube said an hour or two while someone on here said dunk. not sure who to believe. think i'll probably give it an hour.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast