Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to forums home page layout.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Changes to forums home page layout.

This is to give advance warning that we will be making some changes to the layout of the home page of the forums. Nothing will be lost, but we hope to make it easier to find specific sub-forums. We are planning to make the main changes on Monday and Tuesday, 8th and 9th October. When finished, and barring minor changes, the layout should look like this:

Our main goals are to reduce the amount of space that the Forum Archive is taking up on the home page (but still make it accessible), and to separate technical support and discussion forums into their own sections as much as possible.

Please note the following:

• Prepare for inconsistencies for a while. The two servers, lingonberry and bilberry, can take a while to synchronise, so changes may appear on one server but not the other for some time. We will try to limit this as much as possible, but you may see elements of the old layout re-appear when refreshing the page.
    • Partly because of the above, we will probably do the changes in two or more bites over the two days.
    • The Loco Teams section needs to be the last item in the last section for technical reasons. It is an important part of the forums and deserves a place high on the home page, so a new link to it will be created in the “Ubuntu General Support” section.
    • Some minor changes or section name changes may appear before those two days.

Thank you for your patience, and apologies for any inconvenience or confusion that this may cause.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Elfy; October 3rd, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Changes to forums home page layout.

Oh, I reported the other post as I didn't see this one yet!

At any rate, the picture is not showing up for me, and is coming up as a broken linked image. I'm not sure if it's a firewall issue here or not, however, the picture seems to be linked from ubuntuforums.org, and so I don't think it's a firewall issue. At any rate, just wanted to alert you to a potential problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Oh, I reported the other post as I didn't see this one yet!

At any rate, the picture is not showing up for me, and is coming up as a broken linked image. I'm not sure if it's a firewall issue here or not, however, the picture seems to be linked from ubuntuforums.org, and so I don't think it's a firewall issue. At any rate, just wanted to alert you to a potential problem.
    Thanks for the heads-up. That's odd since it's an image uploaded to the forum. I'll check with a non-privileged test account.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

on it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yup, you got it. It's showing up fine now. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for letting us know

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, the user will come and wonder: general support or specialized support? Ah, but the user has a laptop, hardware and laptops? But its an Asus laptop; specialized? Ah but using another (non unity) desktop, desktop environments?

It's a good idea to rearrange the layout, but the proposal remains a bit confusing. Well at least you will get rid of that beginner area, which adds yet another confusing place...

Community area looks good.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thank you for making Wine visible.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

THANK YOU.......For your efforts....Its my first time to use Ubuntu and Linux in General..and I do like it more when I be a member of this forum..Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!

you guys gave me a scare for a second

When i saw the topic title i thought there'd be a massive overhaul.

Then i realised it's just a few sub-forum titles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast