Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JBidWatcher: eBay bidding, sniping & monitoring software for all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: JBidWatcher: eBay bidding, sniping & monitoring software for all

Quote Originally Posted by charonred View Post
    I've just installed jbidwatcher 1.0.2 via Synaptic in Hardy 8.04.3

Soon as I ran it, I was informed of a newer version which I have now downloaded

JBidwatcher-2.1pre4.jar

but I don't know how to install from a .jar
    If you are following the original recipe, you just need to change the script (at /usr/local/bin/jbidwatcher) that launches Java and executes the contents of the jar (Java archive). Inside that script, it refers to the jar file -- change the filename to match the jar file you downloaded (the most recent version, most likely).

Also, for those having issues installing sun-java with apt-get, try using synaptic instead; in my case, I was able to install sun-java6-bin/sun-java6-jre instead of version 5.

Finally, the location of the files in the original recipe has changed (or maybe was initially wrong); to get the bluejay picture that will become an icon on your menu, just visit the jbidwatcher main site, and examine the properties of the picture in the top-left; it will reveal the path you can pass to wget to retrieve the picture, or you can just right-click-save-as and place the picture file in the appropriate spot (as described in the recipe).

P.S. Once the upgrade is complete and everything is working, you can go into /usr/local/share/java and delete older-version jar files since they are no longer needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: JBidWatcher: eBay bidding, sniping & monitoring software for all

I've updated the instructions to the latest version.

Beans

Just to say it works perfectly for me. Check Sun Java installed first, check system is OK. Just works.

tyvm

Beans

.deb .deb .deb .deb .deb..........

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Phkillah View Post
    .deb .deb .deb .deb .deb..........
    Yah, a *.deb package would be really helpful for newbies & fat fingered folks such as myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Personally a feature I'd really like to see is the software running as a service and providing a web interface so that I can slap it on my 24/7 server and control it from the network.

Beans

For the newest version 2.1.3, i simply changed "2.1.1" to "2.1.3" and it downloaded fine and everything but when I try to run it I get
    Code:
    Unable to access jarfile /usr/local/share/java/JBidwatcher-2.1.3.jar
    . What gives? I've even tried running with sudo, same error

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I have succesfully installed JBidWatcher on my previous laptop and on another computer.

Right now I am having trouble getting it to run on an IBM laptop, Core i7 Processor with 64-bit Ubuntu 10.10. I would appreciate some help.

When I launch JBidWatcher, I get it to the point where it says loading auctions, but sticks at that point.

Here is the output I get if launched from a terminal:

Code:
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:07 GMT 2011: JBidwatcher 2.1.3-
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:07 GMT 2011: Sun Microsystems Inc. Java, version 1.6.0_22 on Linux
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:07 GMT 2011: Logging to /home/username/.jbidwatcher/errors.9.log
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:08 GMT 2011: Upgrading error
    java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'jbdb', see the next exception for details.
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.seeNextException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.createDatabase(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection40.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
    	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:154)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.Database.setup(Database.java:92)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.Database.<init>(Database.java:53)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.Upgrader.upgrade(Upgrader.java:26)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.app.JBidWatch.main(JBidWatch.java:441)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    	at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.run(Boot.java:306)
    	at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.main(Boot.java:159)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'jbdb', see the next exception for details.
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
    	... 22 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Directory /home/username/.jbidwatcher//home/username/.jbidwatcher/jbdb already exists.
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
    	... 19 more
    Caused by: ERROR XBM0J: Directory /home/username/.jbidwatcher//home/username/.jbidwatcher/jbdb already exists.
    	at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)
    	... 19 more
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:10 GMT 2011: Scripting is not enabled.
    Fri Feb 18 00:52:10 GMT 2011: JBidwatcher: java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't access the auctions database table
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't access the auctions database table
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.ActiveRecord.openDB(ActiveRecord.java:32)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.auction.AuctionInfo.getRealDatabase(AuctionInfo.java:504)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.auction.AuctionInfo.getDatabase(AuctionInfo.java:501)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.ActiveRecord.count(ActiveRecord.java:63)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.auction.AuctionInfo.count(AuctionInfo.java:531)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.ui.AuctionsManager.loadAuctionsFromDatabase(AuctionsManager.java:222)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.app.JBidWatch.<init>(JBidWatch.java:628)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.app.JBidWatch.main(JBidWatch.java:485)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    	at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.run(Boot.java:306)
    	at com.simontuffs.onejar.Boot.main(Boot.java:159)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'jbdb', see the next exception for details.
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.seeNextException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.createDatabase(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection40.<init>(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.jdbc.AutoloadedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)
    	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:582)
    	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:154)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.Database.setup(Database.java:92)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.Database.<init>(Database.java:53)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.Table.<init>(Table.java:57)
    	at com.jbidwatcher.util.db.ActiveRecord.openDB(ActiveRecord.java:29)
    	... 13 more
    	... 29 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Directory /home/username/.jbidwatcher//home/username/.jbidwatcher/jbdb already exists.
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
    	... 26 more
    Caused by: ERROR XBM0J: Directory /home/username/.jbidwatcher//home/username/.jbidwatcher/jbdb already exists.
    	at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)
    	at org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)
    	... 26 more

Beans
    Distro

ok, so the key was the first error:

java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'jbdb', see the next exception for details.
    There was a problem with creating the jbdb database. On checking into the config file in my home directory ~/.jbidwatcher/jbdb, I noticed that all the files were 4 months old - not sure what the problem was as the access rights seemed ok - but either way, I renamed the jbdb directory and now it could create a new jbdb directory from scratch and presto, it logged on and now works beautifully. So I deleted the old jbdb directory and I am hoping to live happily ever after.

Great program!

So there.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just installed JBidwatcher from this HowTo. Many thanks for the work.

A couple of points: The current version is 2.5, so the code needs altering from JBidwatcher-2.1.1.jar to JBidwatcher-2.5.jar in a couple of places.

Once the program launches, enter your account name and password and save it, but then when up and running I found it had not been saved to the right place. Go into "Windows" "Configuration" and re-enter it there to get it to work. The process is slow (at least it was on my PC) so give it time to file away it's stuff and start up right.

So far so good, my first snipe is scheduled, but I don't know yet if it works.
    Momist. Follower of the minor Greek god Momer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast