Thread: sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted sudo: setresuid() [0,

Beans

sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted sudo: setresuid() [0,

Hello,
    I'm an Ubuntu 12.04 user.
    Today when I turned on my computer, I got the following message upon login:

"Could not update ICEauthority file /home/user/.ICEauthority"

I've been searching around how can I fix it, but still haven't found the solution.
    According to what I read, the most probable reason for this error has to do something the installation of Veetle, because this is the only thing that changed before I got this message.

I found that using the sudo chown command should fix the problem, but it's not working for me, as any sudo I mean to do, I get the following message:

sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted
    sudo: setresuid() [0, 0, 0] -> [118, -1, -1]: Operation not permitted

So, any ideas on how to fix it??? I'm kind of desperate here.

Thanks

Beans

Re: sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted sudo: setresuid()

Try recovery. In GRUB, go to Ubuntu Linux... [recovery mode] or something similar to that. Drop down to a root prompt. Then chown it. It should work now.
    NOTE: If you have an encrypted home folder, I'm sorry, I can't help you. Also, remember to mount read write.
    Last edited by GBGamer117; October 2nd, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

Beans

Re: sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted sudo: setresuid()

I managed to solve it.
    From the console Ctrl+Alt+F1 I logged in, then did the
    sudo chown -R user:user /home/user/.*

Every post I saw about this didn't mention the part of logging on in the console, and I'm far far away from being an expert user.

Installation of Veetle is generating this problem for many of us.

Thanks for the help.