Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

Beans

So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

So anyone try it, how good or bad is it?

Have they fixed the utter horrible package management system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

From what I heard they migrated to the SMART system. I hear this is actually causing quite a delay for them. Because of the situation they have been forced to delay the release of their enterprise edition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: So a technical preview of Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is out..

Just installed it in vmware server on Ubuntu.

It is amazing... much more slick and clean than Dapper. Very Very polished. I am considering to install it instead of Ubuntu.

Beans

Do you need all the 5 cds or just the first 2 for a default install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You'll need the first 3 cd's.

Beans

I've heard nothing but good things about "SLED" 10 so far. Things like "Its the best distro ever" and "its better than ubuntu". Who else here has tried it? I'd like to hear some more, before I try it out.

Beans

I thought you had to pay for it (once the beta is over)?
    A Fedora user

Beans

Tried it and got hung up with the usual SuSE type dependancy issues when trying to install apps. I do like the new 'Computer' menu option though as it's quite intuitive and pulls up results quickly and efficiently. But still ....

..... I promptly reloaded Ubuntu. Good to be back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Yeah I was looking to try it out but it looked to be that i had to buy it. I did find a live dvd though, but it didnt work on my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I tried it out on my presario v2000 laptop. It was noticeably slower to boot and it did not detect and configure my hardware nearly as well as Dapper. It also froze up solid on me several times and this prompted me to remove it. I have no clue what the issue was. While it worked, it was definitely more polished looking than other Linux distros but it still has the old Gnome 2.12 look in some places. The new menu layout is quite useful and avoids clutter. Perhaps others will have happier things to say. I never judge a distro by one installation on one machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast