Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Internet Explorer 10 or IE10 be installed on Ubuntu?

Beans

Can the Internet Explorer 10 or IE10 be installed on Ubuntu?

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out whether the Internet Explorer 10, in short form IE10, can be installed on Ubuntu (or in the other version of Linux) or not? Has anyone tried it successfully. Can be installed in the first place?

I have searched this topic on Google, but surprising did not find a single thing related to it.

Kindly reply, this is my first post in the forum.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can the Internet Explorer 10 or IE10 be installed on Ubuntu?

It will not natively run in Linux. You can give it a try in wine.

Seeing the results for IE8 and IE9 ( http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=25 ), I think you're wasting your time
    Last edited by Wim Sturkenboom; October 2nd, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Why bother with Internet Explorer? Even on Windows, people are increasingly opting for Chrome (Chromium in Ubuntu repositories) or Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post
    Hi guys,

Trying to figure out whether the Internet Explorer 10, in short form IE10, can be installed on Ubuntu (or in the other version of Linux) or not? Has anyone tried it successfully. Can be installed in the first place?
    IE10 won't even run on Vista -- so it should be no surprise that you won't be able to use it in Linux.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    IE10 won't even run on Vista -- so it should be no surprise that you won't be able to use it in Linux.
    There is too much hype around IE 10 and will be another version of IE that will be exposed to hackers and malicious users across the world. If you're already using Linux why degrade your system by going down to the lowly ranks of a Microsoft product such as IE?

The world will be right when Linux becomes more widely used. I have seen the Windows 8 demo and I look forward to the discontent that many users will have with the new Windows. The days of XP are over and I think the changes made to the OS may be too drastic for a lot of your old school XP users.

Beans

Thanks you all for your replies guys. Appreciate it.

I want Internet Explorer, particularly more secure IE 10, for XDK websites like this http://www.zerodha.com/back-office . Click the backoffice button, it will open in IE ONLY because it has something called XDK inbuilt.

The link was just an example. There are other websites I know that use XDK, and Firefox, Chrome etc. have no alternative of it. I have already Googled about it.

Can you suggest me a solution? I have very recently moved to Ubuntu.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Joe999 View Post

I want Internet Explorer, particularly more secure IE 10, ...
    Can you suggest me a solution?...
    If you need IE10, then Ubuntu or Linux in general may not be for you. If you still want to keep Ubuntu, you could learn all about virtualization and install Windows 8 (with IE 10), if that is possible, in a virtual machine running on your Ubuntu OS.
    Otherwise, just use Windows 100% especially if you do a lot of work involving sites like those you mention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Frankly any web site that is IE only, in today's world with many other browsers would not be a web site I used. I would be worried about all the other security issues that site might have.
    And Europe requires a browser selection screen when you boot Windows for the first time, so IE is not the only browser out there.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is this the XDK you're referring to?

http://www.appmobi.com/?page_id=304

If you use the power of HTML5 and appMobi’s cross platform tools, you’ll only need to write your app once to address ALL of the other stores your app can sell in.
    HTML5 is the ‘lingua franca’ of cross platform app development. appMobi’s free tools enable your HTML5 hybrid app an be built for iOS Tablets, iOS Smartphones, Android Tablets, Android Smartphones, Google Play Store, Amazon App Store, Mozilla App Store, Facebook App Center, Google Chrome store. More outlets are being added monthly
    That sure doesn't sound like something that would be IE10 only. The other XDK that shows up is Xbox Development Kit. That doesn't seem like what you're referring to though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Is this the XDK you're referring to?
    When you click on the link that OP provided and then on the "backoffice button", there's this error message:
    Sorry. You need a browser that supports XDK. Please use IE
    Unfortunately, many sites in India are (still) IE-specific or don't render well with other browsers. In some cases, it's just a matter of spoofing the user-agent string but I didn't look into the matter. In other cases, spoofing doesn't work.

Market forces will teach them a lesson. It's a matter of time.

BTW, it's not uncommon to still encounter several Indian sites carrying the "This site works best with IE6". Yes, IE6.
    Last edited by vasa1; October 3rd, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast