Thread: Thinkpad T430s 12.04 compatiblity

Beans

Thinkpad T430s 12.04 compatiblity

Hi everyone.

First time considering getting a new laptop to run Ubuntu so I'm a newbie. I'd like to use the latest release if possible (64bit) and I'm wondering what does / does not work on the T430s? Specifically I plan to get the SSD model. I'll also be running it a lot of the time on an external monitor and I'm assuming it will work like a windows machine? (close lid = run only on external monitor, open lid / unplug monitor = laptop monitor resumes...)

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Thinkpad T430s 12.04 compatiblity

I'm running 12.04 on T430s, with a Hard disk and a SSD.
    It now works pretty well.(I have a windows and 12.04 on hard disk and another two on ssd)

BUT!
    It will hang twice everyday, someone says a kernel higher than 3.4 is needed and I have just upgrade it and wait to see if it will hang again.

It is not as easy as you are in windows to connect to a external monitor, at least for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My 0.02: got a t430 about a month ago -- I've yet to be able to reliably connect to public wifi on it (ie, it's not usable on public wifi, I'll get a connection that'll die about every 5 minutes). I still have the windows 7 partition that came with it and it works fine there, but I was more or less buying the laptop with the intention of using linux on it.

Anyway, people seem to have really positive impressions about lenovo's linux support; I'm pretty disappointed with my t430. FWIW, I think most of the thinkpads come with intel cards? Mine came with a Realtek, which might be the crux of the issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alecbenzer View Post
    My 0.02: got a t430 about a month ago -- I've yet to be able to reliably connect to public wifi on it (ie, it's not usable on public wifi, I'll get a connection that'll die about every 5 minutes). I still have the windows 7 partition that came with it and it works fine there, but I was more or less buying the laptop with the intention of using linux on it.

Anyway, people seem to have really positive impressions about lenovo's linux support; I'm pretty disappointed with my t430. FWIW, I think most of the thinkpads come with intel cards? Mine came with a Realtek, which might be the crux of the issue.
    try to use wicd instead other than default network-manager, it will work perfectly.