Thread: Unable to set SMPLayer as default

Beans

Unable to set SMPLayer as default

Using Ubuntu 12.04.1 i set SMPlayer as default movie player in my system settings and i want movie files to open with SMPlayer whenever i try double-click on them but doesnt work. The system still recognises standard Mplayer as default.
    I also set SMPlayer to open movie files from "open with another app" menu but this doesnt work either. I uninstalled and reinstalled Mplayer and SMPlayer many times with no luck. Am i doing something wrong?
    I know SMPlayer is a frontend for Mplayer but i want to use SMplayer as default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to set SMPLayer as default

If you right click on a movie file, then goto -properties, next select -open with.......then you can set a default application. You will need to do this for each file type once and it will then forever be remembered by the system.

Beans

oh yea i realised that now, thank you for fast reply but why is this so weird in ubuntu? 3 different places to set an app as default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

yes, it does seem a bit backwards, there is another way to set default applications.....but it seems to ignore whatever you set it to, at least the round about way seems to work.

Beans

Thank you again do i have to close this topic now and how?