Thread: why nomdeset solution runs in low resolution

Beans

[SOLVED]why nomdeset solution runs in low resolution

Installing 12.04 as dual boot on HP Pavilion dv4 with integrated intel graphic card, ran into the black screen. Tried nomodeset option and was able to bring the screen backup. I am also able to make it permanent by editing the grub.

The only problem is that it appears to be running on 640x480 resolution. I need it to run 1366x768 the windows partition is running.

I've tried everything in both the graphic card threads. I even tried 12.10 nightly release with 3.5 kernel. Nothing is working. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by drillerccg; October 1st, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

Beans

Re: why nomdeset solution runs in low resolution

Solved it. Done on HP Pavilion dv4 with Integrated Inte; graphic card, black screen at install, and nomodeset has one low resolution of 1024x768

Not sure if the first 2 steps had anything to do with it but the last step for sure did it:

1- add medibuntu repositories http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-add-me...minal-and-gui/

2- add xorg crack pushers PPA:

Code:
    ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    to software center/edit/software resources other software/add

now just

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    There were some packages held back from upgrading so I also did :

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    to force install them. This took me to 3.5.0-15-generic kernel. Make suer all updates are installed.

3- Up to this point it still did not work but thanks to this web page

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15230...p-wide-display

It's all good now.

Basically, once you see the purple screen with little stick figure at the bottom, click the space bar to get to the languages, press esc or enter on English to get to grub menu, highlight the first choice and press e for edit. Find quiet splash on the second line to last and type nomodeset. Now press Ctrl X and it you are now in Ubuntu 12.04 but with low resolution.

Now

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    and change the last two lines of the file to (not the ones with #, look carefully, they should look similar):
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash  acpi_backlight=vendor" GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
    press save and then

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Restart and profit