Thread: Spider in ubuntu 12.04?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Spider in ubuntu 12.04?

Hi everybody,
    I've just upgraded from Lucid Lynx to Precise Pangolin and there are several features I'm not totally happy about, so I think I'll start spamming the forum with different questions (probably nothing serious, but still annoying for me). Who knows, in the end I might even end up with the minimal number of posts to become an "active member" here

The first one concerns the amazing spider solitaire which was available on lucid (and even karmic) see here
    https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/lucid/spider/
    but is nowhere to be seen on precise...
    Any chances to have the application available in one way or another (by adding repositories or the like)? Sorry for the silly question, I'm just a user, not a computer whizard. I fear there are more to come.
    thanks for your reply,
    Luisa
    Last edited by lunalui; October 1st, 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Spider in ubuntu 12.04?

Quote Originally Posted by lunalui View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I've just upgraded from Lucid Lynx to Precise Pangolin and there are several features I'm not totally happy about, so I think I'll start spamming the forum with different questions (probably nothing serious, but still annoying for me). Who knows, in the end I might even end up with the minimal number of posts to become an "active member" here

The first one concerns the amazing spider solitaire which was available on lucid (and even karmic) see here
    https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/lucid/spider/
    but is nowere to be seen on precise...
    Any chances to have the application available in one way or another (by adding repositories or the like)? Sorry for the silly question, I'm just a user, not a computer whizard.
    I spent about 10 minutes looking and didn't find that game or any of the 2 other "near clones".

New software releases don't always retain old functions. That's the way of the entire industry. The source was available under 11.04, so you could attempt to build it yourself.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/department/precise/games/ I do not know why this happened, but I can make a guess. Between Gnome2 and Gnome3, a few (or many) apps were left behind. Porting to Unity was never a priority for the Gnome guys, so it wasn't ported.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Ubuntu/Canonical doesn't control all the software available to Ubuntu/Debian. If the author or team didn't want to update the code to work with 12.04, then we are often SOL. Depending on the code license, you might be able to do the port yourself, if you are so inclined. Which license was it released under?

You could look inside the old version .deb file and find the game author, then contact that person.

I did a little more searching to see if a current debian distro had Spider included - Ubuntu is based off debian, so you can install .deb files for the compatible Ubuntu version. Finding a PPA would be better from a maintenance perspective, but installing a .deb file should work too. My search lead to a commercial "Spider" website, so I stopped searching right there. It could be that the author decided to make the game proprietary and earn a little money from it. Again, I don't know - I stopped looking. That commercial site might be repackaging it for a nominal fee.

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    (lots of words)
    ... or, you can install aisleriot from the Ubuntu Software Center, if it's not already installed (I think it's part of the default installation). It includes almost every conceivable solitaire game, including spider solitaire.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Spider in ubuntu 12.04?

thank you for your replies. I've now solved the problem. Following the suggestion of a friend, I basically followed what's in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1066625.html

first of all I entered the following line in my broweser

and selected the lucid version (the one I had before)
    I checked that all needed packages were already installed (which they were), then I downloaded the file following the link on the page.

Clicking on the file on my desktop it launched the installer, and now the game is up and running!

@thatguruguy
    you are right: there is a spider in aisleriot, but the version is different (closer to the windows one and less fun) and the interface is not as pleasant

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You've gone outside the package manager by doing that. You've risked the sanity of your APT installation. I wish you luck and that you don't get into APT-Hell over it.

I think you'll find what you've done was a terrible idea over then next few years. I hope it works out fine, but ...

Beans
    Distro

to be honest, in the next few days (not years), after testing precise a little bit more, I may be installing back lucid, for there are too many things I'm not happy about precise, so this won't be a big problem for me.