Thread: Video in recording is too slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Video in recording is too slow

I have been using a webcam in a laptop to make audio-video recordings. The video is too slow. To get lip synch, I have to talk r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y. I can see the video that the camera is receiving on the laptop display. It is slow.

The camera is a BisonCam NB Pro.

I have created a ramdisk and a dedicated file space there to capture the recording, so I don't think that it could be because of a slow hard disk.

The laptop has a video card. (You can see my hardware in the spec link in my sig.)

I can edit the video later to get the video to work properly, but I would like the recording to work well in the first place.

(What follows might sound confusing as I talked about the video being slow, but this is also what happened: I clapped my hands on screen at the beginning of the recording. iirc, I had to first of all remove the first 2 seconds of audio, to get the sound of the clap to arrive on time, and then increase the speed of the remaining audio to 130% to have proper lip synch.)

Anyway, I hope you can help me understand. I would also be grateful if you could let me know good places to find out more about AV recording.
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Video in recording is too slow

I have 60 fps on my AMD64 Athlon using Cinerella and a USB Logitech. So, my suggestion would be your software which is running your camera. I will add I had to tweak and pipe in the options of Cinerrella. I would have some experimenting to do to reinstall the webcam on a new Ubuntu install. I haven't used my webcam now in two years. My goal back then was face-recognition. Cinelerra would be like shooting a fly with a canon.

If you have a Java JDK installed you could add processing.org.

http://processing.org/

If you are inclined to coding, before you begin you should also google:

java processing webcam

From that search term, I do see Ubuntu installs of the processing framework with a webcam attached.

But, making the hardware link to the software in Linux is different for every machine using the varieties of webcams, eg built-in, firewire, USB, etc.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti