Thread: PC-BSD 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

PC-BSD 64 bit

http://www.pcbsd.org

I visited the PC-BSD website today and I downloaded the Oracle VM Virtualbox 64 bit disk image. I decompressed it and I created a new 64 bit guest virtual machine based off of FreeBSD 64 bit for PC-BSD 9.1 64 bit Isotope Edition. I logged into the pcbsd user using pcbsd as the password and I performed a software update. PC-BSD 9.1 64 bit Isotope Edition is pretty nice. It uses KDE as the default desktop environment. There is the AppCafe which is similar to the Ubuntu Software Center. PC-BSD 9.1 offers limited support for TrueCrypt 7.1a 64 bit. The problem is that it uses FUSE which is not well supported in PC-BSD or any BSD UNIX. I find it to be very reliable and stable and it consumes very little resources. It is particularly fast and secure right out of the box. I am going to play around with PC-BSD 9.1 64 bit Isotope Edition more tomorrow, but this looks like a good BSD UNIX operating system.

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4) and I will stick with Ubuntu 64 bit GNU/Linux as my default operating system of choice, but PC-BSD 64 bit might be another alternative that I might enjoy using.

I recommend that other Ubuntu users consider PC-BSD 9.1 64 bit Isotope Edition if you want to learn more about BSD UNIX. In my opinion, BSD UNIX rocks and it has certain advantages over GNU/Linux. It is a complete operating system and everything is designed to work seamlessly as a whole.

I may wind up using PC-BSD 9.1 64 bit Isotope Edition more frequently, but some critical software and hardware devices don't work with it such as LastPass Premium, TrueCrypt 7.1a 64 bit, and Yubico Yubi Keys. This is why I will stick with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS because everything is guaranteed to work right out of the box.

Beans

Re: PC-BSD 64 bit

Were you able to get the PCBSD 9.1 VM to recognize the Intel Centrino 6235 wireless card? I have not been successful with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I deleted my PC-BSD 9.1 RC2 VM. I am going to wait for the official release date to see if it fixes more problems. I did not notice any problem with my Intel Advanced Centrino 6235 N, but I did not check to see if there was a problem either.

Beans

Thanks. I've been unable to get 9.1 RC2 to recognize the 6235. It seems there is a guy working on a Freebsd driver for the 6235 but he's not finished yet. I installed PCBSD native, not under a VM. Here's a link to what I found: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=169433

Beans

PC-BSD is the perfect BSD-based Desktop OS. but GhostBSD is better than PC-BSD (on GNOME DE).