Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 Installation freezes at "Who are you"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: 12.04 Installation freezes at "Who are you"

Quote Originally Posted by Gini1195 View Post
    The difficulty is that the installation didn't finish, as it froze when I completed the "Who are you" entries. (Green tics appeared by user name and computer name. I chose to log in automatically with no password.) There was no error message, but copying files did not start, and there was no progress bar. Nothing appeared to happen, and eventually I gave up.
    The OS didn't 'freeze up'. Green tics need to be on all lines. You must enter a password for the install to 'continue'. You may choose not to use it at login, the option is there, but the password must be chosen for all your root work later. Installing, changes, etc. You won't be able to do anything without the password.

I used to balk at logging in via password, but have changed m y mind. I learned the 'hard way' that it can avoid some problems later, like being able to boot into recovery or earlier kernal. It's very useful and takes no time, a second or two.. You can make it a simple one character if you want to. It will say it's 'too short', but it will accept it--just continue.
    Last edited by critin; October 1st, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    The OS didn't 'freeze up'. Green tics need to be on all lines. You must enter a password for the install to 'continue'. You may choose not to use it at login, the option is there, but the password must be chosen for all your root work later. Installing, changes, etc. You won't be able to do anything without the password.

I used to balk at logging in via password, but have changed m y mind. I learned the 'hard way' that it can avoid some problems later, like being able to boot into recovery or earlier kernal. It's very useful and takes no time, a second or two.. You can make it a simple one character if you want to. It will say it's 'too short', but it will accept it--just continue.
    Thank you, thank you!! Bashing-om also suggested the problem might be the lack of password. I'm hopeful my next installation attempt will complete with no difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This is my first encounter of such a problem....At this point I want to look at the disk layout, see how it is formated; And another point I do not know if it applies, But I am aware of some issues that have been caused by the boot loader being located to far out of bios's range.
    To look at the disk; from the install cd in "try ubuntu" mode, ctl+alt+t activates a terminal, post the output of these terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    sudo parted -l
    <those are lower case "L"s>
    see what tale is told ==> BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    This is my first encounter of such a problem....At this point I want to look at the disk layout, see how it is formated; And another point I do not know if it applies, But I am aware of some issues that have been caused by the boot loader being located to far out of bios's range.
    To look at the disk; from the install cd in "try ubuntu" mode, ctl+alt+t activates a terminal, post the output of these terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    sudo parted -l
    <those are lower case "L"s>
    see what tale is told ==> BDQ
    Can't do this for a couple of days. I'll post back then.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a problem, will be here at your convenience.

just try'n to help <==BDQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12