Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot move taskbar on multi-monitor setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Cannot move taskbar on multi-monitor setup

I upgraded my install to 9.04 shortly after it was available.

I have two monitors on a Nvidia card using Twinview.

I was quite happy with my taskbars (two of them, one atop the other) on my left hand monitor along the top.

A power failure took out my machine. Upon reboot, my taskbars are now on the right hand side instead of the left.

Trying to drag either taskbar using an icon-free area doesn't work.

Checked gnome-conf, and “apps” > “panel” > “global” key “locked_down” is unchecked.

Can anyone please help with this issue? I'm massively stuck...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Cannot move taskbar on multi-monitor setup

Try holding down the ALT key before you click and drag...keep it held down through the drag.

In gconf-editor, you can specify the monitor for each of the panels, not just if it is locked. I personally prefer to use ALT
    Intel E8400 - 4gb Corsair DDR2-6400 - 4.5tb combined diskspace - Nvidia 9600T 1024mb - Samsung 22" WS & Eizo 19" (Twinview 2960x1050)
    The Shrooms | The Laughing Wolf | Amarok 1.4 in Jaunty | Still praying for MediaMonkey Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PureLoneWolf View Post
    Try holding down the ALT key before you click and drag...keep it held down through the drag.

In gconf-editor, you can specify the monitor for each of the panels, not just if it is locked. I personally prefer to use ALT
    Nope, no change. The bars still don't move, either one of them.

Beans

I'm not sure if it will work (it's a long shot to say the least) but try to right-click on the actual taskbar and click on the "Allow this Panel to be Moved" button. It shouldn't make a difference since you allready set it in the gconf-editor, but maybe the sudden power failure messed with the settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Uubnewb View Post
    I'm not sure if it will work (it's a long shot to say the least) but try to right-click on the actual taskbar and click on the "Allow this Panel to be Moved" button. It shouldn't make a difference since you allready set it in the gconf-editor, but maybe the sudden power failure messed with the settings.
    There is no "Allow this Panel to be Moved" button. ON right click there is add to panel, properties, delete this panel, new panel, help, about panels

Beans

Oh, sorry, I was thinking about Ubuntu 8.10. Did you try the following: Right-click on the panel; click properties; uncheck the expand button. The bar will get smaller and little handles should appear.

Beans

The holding the ALT key before dragging the panel trick worked for me. Thanks!

Beans

The ALT key had no effect for me (in 9.04) What worked was turning off the expand option (checkbox in Properties|General) I could then move the taskbar as expected. I wanted it on the second monitor. It great. I added the window list applet and now the tool bars show the windows active for each monitor.

Oz (in DFW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Cannot move taskbar on multi-monitor setup

Quote Originally Posted by ozindfw View Post
    The ALT key had no effect for me (in 9.04) What worked was turning off the expand option (checkbox in Properties|General) I could then move the taskbar as expected. I wanted it on the second monitor. It great. I added the window list applet and now the tool bars show the windows active for each monitor.

Oz (in DFW)
    YOU, sir, ARE A ROCKSTAR! I can't thank you enough for your workaround, I am very glad you posted to my old old old thread. My taskbar is now where God intended it to be!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

holding down ALT did the trick...thanks very much for the tip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast